[DFDL-WG] More schema work - I got inspired!

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Fri May 15 19:50:44 CDT 2009

Suman et al,

I got inspired by your XML Schema for DFDL annotations.

1) I fixed a few things in it. It is attached. I renamed it with suffix to
make it "...033-1.xsd"

You can diff it against yours to find the changes.  Some are: no 'all'
groups. Added dfdl:simpleType (which I think we forgot, but we need.) took
separator props off element and simple type, a few other cleanups. These are
a start on the version 034 changes.

Then I really got going....

2) I created an XML Schema for the DFDL subset of XML Schema

There is this XML Schema for XML Schema around. I subsetted it to match the
DFDL spec.

If you use this and your DFDL annotation schema together, under Eclipse,
it's really quite a reasonably electric DFDL environment.

I have a test file that uses all the annotations I could think of.

So I've attached 3 files:

DFDL_v1_033-1.xsd - updated DFDL annotations schema
DFDLSubsetOfXMLSchema_v1_034.xsd - schema for DFDL subset of XSD
strictDFDLChecking.xml - example

The example is a bit tricky with the namespace prefixes - it defines the
"xsd" prefix to be the DFDLSubset schema, not the ordinary XSD schema.

Anyway, I hope this contribution is helpful. It was kind of fun to do.

...mike

P.S., somewhere in the various archive files is a stylesheet that turns
short-form annotations on DFDL schemas into the longer form annotations. I
can dig this out if it is of interest.
Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair | CTO | Oco, Inc.
Tel:  781-810-2125  | 100 Fifth Ave., 4th Floor, Waltham MA 02451 |
<mailto:mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com> mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com