[DFDL-WG] DFDL: Action 027 - rework of property precedence - plus issues arising

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri May 8 11:23:14 CDT 2009

I've created a separate property precedence for each schema object that
can carry non-scoping DFDL properties (attached for review).

The following issues were noted:

1) Missing property dfdl:textBooleanJustification - similar properties
exist for string, number and calendar types.

2) What is the rule when the same DFDL properties occur on a xs:simpleType
and a xs:element that uses that type?  Does this work a) like
element/group references (ie, properties combined with element winning) or
b) like complex element and its sequence (ie, element and simpleType are
considered separate objects)? I don't think section 10 covers this case.

3) Should we allow the DFDL nil & default control properties on a simple
type?  xs:nillable and xs:default are element only attributes in xsd. Spec
currently allows this.

4) Should we allow DFDL occurs properties on global elements?  Whether
something repeats is a particle thing. Spec currently allows this. (IBM's
WTX and MRM don't allow this).

5) Missing work item to get BiDi properties into shape and incorporated
into spec. Should these be grouped, like escape scheme, calendar scheme,
etc? Do they apply to calendar and number types?

6) Should dfdl:integerBooleanXXXRep be renamed dfdl:binaryBooleanXXXRep ?

7) We might want to reconsider the name of the new flag dfdl:initiated -
it could be read that the xs:sequence itself is initiated rather than its
children.

8) Should dfdl:initiated also apply to xs:choice?

9) Draft 33 property precedence had dfdl:outputLengthCalc - but that is
not in the spec anywhere else?

Programming Model Architect
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK