[DFDL-WG] xsd:any support - propose dfdl:initiatorLength property

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Mar 16 05:46:15 CDT 2009

Here's what we say about xsd:any (wildcard support) in DFDL spec.

Any Element Wildcard
The "any" element wildcard provides support for initiator-tagged data
formats.
The dfdl:initiatorSeparator property must be defined or it is a schema
definition error.
The 'processContents' attribute is not allowed in DFDL 1.0 and it's use is
a schema definition error.
This kind of wildcard is used to absorb content which while syntactically
compatible is not logically modeled as elements of the sequence group.
These declarations match a triplet of strings. The first is a
variable-length string that matches any initiator tag. The second is a
fixed value string which must match the initiator-separator property
value. The third is a variable-length string that matches any content up
until the end of the "element" being matched.
The length of data matching an any-element wildcard is specified by the
usual length properties: dfdl:lengthKind, dfdl:lengthUnits, dfdl:length,
dfdl:terminator. dfdl:initiator is not used by Any Element wildcards and
is ignored if specified in scope.

We insist on the presence of a known initiator separator to separate
initiator from data. We should also allow initiator length, to support
models where there is no separator. Exactly one of initiator separator and
initiator length must be specified. Initiator length is not a valid DFDL
property on any other xsd object.

This is supported today by IBM's MRM parser.

Programming Model Architect
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com