[DFDL-WG] leading/trailing skip bytes

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 20:40:12 CDT 2009

This comment appears in draft 034 with respect to leading/trailing skip
bytes. Since I am in there fixing up the grammar and associated pictures I'd
like to fix this also if a change is needed. Unfortunately, MS Word change
tracking says this comment is by "Lab User" ... so I have no idea who said
this, but I assume it's an IBMer.

In our MRM model, for repeating element we state that a leading skipCount
applies only to first occurrence of array element and trailing skipCount
applies to all elements of the array. The model in that sense is not
symmetrical. I thinking if we should model this properly for array where we
state that an array construct as such has a prefix Region and suffix Region
which carry these alignment attributes.
I will try to find the COBOL test case which demonstrates this issue.

Right now leading/trailing skip bytes are symmetric, and would apply to
every element of an "array". There is no asymetry as per this comment.

Can someone check into this so I can fix these grammars/diagrams including
this change (if needed)?

...mike