[DFDL-WG] DFDL Example for 2D arrays

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jan 6 08:52:52 CST 2009

Hello Jyoti

Welcome to DFDL

DFDL V1 only directly supports single dimension arrays through the use of
the occursxxx properties defined in section 19. A 2D array must be defined
as an array of array. The following is a simplified version of the example
in section 20 that shows a fixed number of rows and columns.

        <xs:element name="rows"
                    dfdl:occursCountKind="explicit"
                    dfdl:occursCount="5">
           <xs:complexType>
             <xs:sequence>
               <xs:element name=?cols? type=?xs:float?
                    dfdl:occursCountKind=?explicit?
                    dfdl:occursCount=?10? />
             </xs:sequence>
          </xs:complexType>
                 </xs:element>

In DFDL V1 we have primarily concentrated on structured commercial formats
so have not thought too much about image files etc althought it is
intended that DFDL is capable of defining these types of data.

Alan Powell

 MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
 Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
 Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898