[DFDL-WG] dfdl-wg Digest, Vol 40, Issue 17 : Action 072 resolved

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Fri Dec 18 05:29:19 CST 2009

072
TK: Byte Order Mark and Unicode signature
16/12: Investigate whether the spec's position on UTF-16/32 BOM is
implementable

The implementation team have carried out tests on the Java and C
implementations of ICU.  The results are:

Java ICU libraries

Encoding
Input
BOM included in decoded string?
UTF-8
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-16
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-16-LE
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-16-BE
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-32
<BOM>AAA
no
UTF-32-LE
<BOM>AAA
no
UTF-32-BE
<BOM>AAA
no

C ICU libraries:

Encoding
Input
BOM included in decoded string?
UTF-8
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-16
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-16-LE
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-16-BE
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-32
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-32-LE
<BOM>AAA
yes
UTF-32-BE
<BOM>AAA
yes

I suspect that the UTF-32 anomaly is a defect in ICU. I tried to confirm
this using Google, but I didn't find any reference to it online.

Before we conclude that the spec is OK as it stands, we should consider
whether it is correct to treat a BOM as a character. The Unicode standard
makes a clear distinction between characters and BOMs:
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch02.pdf section 2.13 ( don't
skip the first couple of paragraphs )
http://unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#bom1

regards,