[DFDL-WG] Fw: UnorderedInitiated

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Apr 29 04:57:23 CDT 2009

It has been raised that the dfdl:unorderedInitiated property is redundant,
because we have speculative parsing, and because the DFDL parser can
optimise by analysis without being explicitly told. This is true but
saying that all children of a  sequence have an initiator is also a way
for the modeler to ensure that his model is correct and that all children
are correctly specified.  I propose that we decide whether to:

a) Drop the property

b) Rename the property dfdl:initiated and have it apply to any sequence,
ordered or unordered

There's also a question in the spec that we should resolve.

(TBD: do we allow sequences with initiators to be children of an unordered
sequence, or do we require the children of an unordered sequence to be
elements? Conservative would be to require elements.)
To which Mike had commented:

Suggest sequences where children have initiators cannot be directly
nested. You must use an element in this case. I would prefer that children
of an unordered sequence are required to be elements in general for v1.0.
I'd like to close on this as well.

Let's discuss on today's call.

Programming Model Architect
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848
----- Forwarded by Steve Hanson/UK/IBM on 29/04/2009 10:38 -----

Steve Hanson/UK/IBM

Tim Kimber/UK/IBM
cc
Alan Powell/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Subject
Re: UnorderedInitiated

Here's the table from draft 0.33:

sequenceKind
separatorPolicy
Implications

unorderedInitiated
ignored (suppress behavior implied)
Initiators are used to identify which elements are present and which are
missing.
All children must have dfdl:initiator strings that are distinct and not
the empty string. (Schema definition error otherwise.)
nilValueInitiatorPolicy and defaultValueInitiatorPolicy must both be
'required' (Schema definition error otherwise)

Setting unorderedInitiated forces extra checks to take place to ensure
that an initiator would be present under all circumstances.  I think this
provides a direct equivalent to TDS Tagged.

I'd prefer that speculative parsing was the sole mechanism used to resolve
the child elements. In practice, most unordered sequences will have
initiators on their children anyway.

There's also this comment in the spec:

(TBD: do we allow sequences with initiators to be children of an unordered
sequence, or do we require the children of an unordered sequence to be
elements? Conservative would be to require elements.)
To which Mike had commented:

Suggest sequences where children have initiators cannot be directly
nested. You must use an element in this case. I would prefer that children
of an unordered sequence are required to be elements in general for v1.0.
Which corresponds to schema's rule for xs:all and the MRM's rule for
unorderedSet, so I'm happy with that.

Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

Tim Kimber/UK/IBM

Alan Powell/UK/IBM at IBMGB
cc
Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Subject
Re: UnorderedInitiated

Hi Alan,

Understood. In that case, please can you add this to the list of
unresolved issues in the specification. We should take pains not to
include redundant properties in DFDL v1.0, because each property has a
cost in terms of implementation, testing and documentation.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK
Internet:  kimbert at uk.ibm.com