[DFDL-WG] Simplified Escape Scheme V3

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Sun Apr 19 06:24:36 CDT 2009

Alan

Comments:

- I think escapeBlockStart and escapeBlockEnd are better names, that way
you can immediately see they are for use with escapeBlock.

- escapeKind.  Clarification to escapeBlock parsing behaviour. "On parsing
the escapeStartString is removed from the beginning of the data and
escapeEndString is removed from end of the data and any
escapeEscapeCharacters are removed when they precede any other occurences
of the escapeEndString in the data."

- extraEscapedCharacters. Clarification: "A space separated list of single
characters that must be escaped in addition to in-scope markup"

- generateEscape. The behaviour when escapeKind = escapeCharacter and
value is 'always' is not defined. I would prefer that:
a) The descriptions of 'whenNeeded' behaviour are moved into the
escapeKind property to keep all the rules in one place.
b) generateEscape is renamed generateEscapeBlock and only applies to
escapeKind = escapeBlock, as that is only when it has an effect.

Programming Model Architect
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

Alan Powell/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Sent by: dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

dfdl-wg at ogf.org

[DFDL-WG] Simplified Escape Scheme V3

Attached is the latest version of escape schemes. It includes Steve and
Mike's comments (although not renaming properties), removed escapeBlock2
and added uses cases in section 5 which you might like to start with.

The uses cases confirm that the syntax works with some minor
clarifications but highlights two questions:
1.      Should data containing the escapeEscapeCharacater cause escaping
to be used if if so how should it be escaped.
2.      Should we only look for escapeStartString at the beginning of the
data.

Alan Powell

MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898