[DFDL-WG] available of DFDL use cases - sample data being used to refine spec

RPost rp0428 at pacbell.net
Sat May 31 20:08:28 CDT 2008

Hi,

I finally managed to connect to the DFDL site long enough to download a copy
of ogf-dfdl-v1.0-Core-030.doc, the draft 30 doc.

In reviewing the doc and recent emails at the archives,
http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/dfdl-wg/, there are references to sample data
and use cases that are being used to help refine the specification.

Can I get copies of any use cases and/or specific sample date that are being
used? I would like to start creating a 'DFDL sample' companion doc that
would contain a richer set of examples than what would be appropriate for
the specification itself.

For example there was a recent discussion from the archives about Nulls and
Defaults (Tue Apr 8 19:31:52 CDT 2008). Parts of the discussion regard what
properties must be specified and what the allowable property/data
combinations are.

I would like to create actual sample data for some of these cases (e.g.
required field that is missing but has a default) and perhaps a truth table
that shows explicitly what combination of properties must be specified to be
valid.

This doc would not be concerned with exactly how (or where in the DFDL
schema) a specific property is specified but only how the
property/properties can be used for a specific test case.

Such a doc could help bring some clarity to the interaction of the
properties and, at some future time, assist implementers in creating proper
validation test sets.

If someone could forward me some sample use cases, or data scenarios (e.g.
Cobol OCCURS data) and let me know which ones would be most useful to have
some more detailed property examples for I could start the doc with those.

Thanks for any info.

Rick

p.s. The link I have been largely unsuccessful using to access the DFDL site
is

http://www.ggf.org/ggf_areas_data.htm

Most of the links from this page, including the DFDL one, give proxy or
maintenance errors.

I have emailed the webmaster about the problem but haven't heard anything
back.