[DFDL-WG] Info on BEAs Format Builder - Java GUI to convert binaryto/from XML

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:26:54 CDT 2008

Every major vendor of enterprise software has at least one, and likely ½
dozen tools that deal with binary/text file formats. The goal of DFDL is to
reduce the redundant effort in creating and maintaining these tools, and to
encourage cross-vendor compatibility with these format specifications, which
are quite hard to create and to debug/maintain.

BEA is particularly big on “converting” binary data to XML, which to me
mostly makes sense logically, but physically is awfully inefficient.

mike

Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair | CTO | Oco, Inc.
Tel:  781-810-2100  | 504 Totten Pond Road, Waltham MA 02451 |
<mailto:mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com> mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com

  _____