[DFDL-WG] Action 14: Propose DFDL entity scheme

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jan 22 08:40:58 CST 2008

Hi Mike

%NL;  is a single character <LF> on those target platforms where that is
the convention or <CR><LF> on others, etc. This is intended to make it
easier for the same dfdl schema to parse messages from different
platforms. I know we avoided target platform in DFDL and was expecting
that this would cause some debate.

This will be a good discussion for tomorrow's call

Alan Powell

 MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
 Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
 Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898

"Mike Beckerle" <mbeckerle at OCO-INC.COM>

Alan Powell/UK/IBM at IBMGB, <DFDL-Technical-Core%IBMGB at uk.ibm.com>,
<dfdl-wg at ogf.org>

RE: [DFDL-WG] Action 14: Propose DFDL entity scheme

Is the &NL; supposed to represent a single character? Or can it be a CRLF?

There?s no notion of ?the target platform? in DFDL. We?ve specifically
avoided this notion on purpose. So we need a separate property like
newline=?&CR;&LF;? or newline=?&LF;? if we want &NL; to be meaningful,
unless some other property is suitable.

There are some other Unicode whitespace and Unicode line-ending
characters. Do we want to include those in the definitions of WSP and NL ?
I recall there are 4 line-endings in Unicode.

?mikeb