[DFDL-WG] DFDL Schema abstract data model 4

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Feb 27 10:32:26 CST 2008

Hi Simon

That looks better.

I'd still like to see an even simpler introductory diagram, if that is
possible, which while not showing 100% of XML Schema constructs, shows
enough to give the user a good idea of the key schema objects involved.
The existing diagram in draft 31 section 5, but with the 'dimension' box
removed, is very attractive to first time users. It introduces elements
which can be of simple type or complex type, the latter consisting of a
group being either sequence or choice, which contains a sequence of
elements or wildcards. Note no mention of particles at this point.

It may not be possible to accomodate such a simple diagram with the full
diagram without contradictory terminology?  But I think we should try.

FWIW I use a very similar diagram to explain the IBM MRM model to
first-time users.

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

"Simon Parker" <simon.parker at polarlake.com>
Sent by: dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

<dfdl-wg at ogf.org>

[DFDL-WG] DFDL Schema abstract data model 4

Good morning.

As discussed yesterday, here is a fresh version with improvements and
corrections applied.
I added a note to the Discussion section, reproduced here for convenience.

---
Yesterday's conference expressed the view that the version 3 model
contained more detail than was useful. Version 4  removes some of the new
abstractions to bring it closer to version 2, but retains most of the
relationships.
The new naming conventions (Global*, *Reference, *Definition) didn't find
favour, and this version uses established names for abstractions discussed
in the XML Schema specification.
Other changes correct errors and misunderstandings: only simple types may
have explicit base types; DFDL doesn't support All groups or explicit
Group constructs in groups; some associations were incorrectly described
as aggregations.
Dfdl annotations can be used at any annotation point. There are some
restrictions, but this model cannot show details clearly so they are left
for a different form of presentation or for later addition.
---

Regards,
 Simon

Simon Parker
Software Consultant
PolarLake
80 Harcourt Street
Dublin 2, Ireland

Phone  +353 1 449-1075
Fax    +353 1 449-1011
Web    http://www.polarlake.com/

The information transmitted in this email is intended for the addressee
only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination, reliance upon or other use of this
information by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited.
If you think, for any reason, that this message may have been addressed to
you in error, we would ask you to notify the sender immediately by return
email and delete the material. PolarLake Limited | Registered in Dublin,
Ireland | Number 357324 | Registered office as above.