[DFDL-WG] This week's DFDL WG meeting

Mike Beckerle beckerle at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 27 07:56:46 CDT 2007

I will be unable to attend this week's call.

Martin said he also would be unable to attend.

However, Simon sent a marked up document last week (forwarded in this
email) and the comments he made might be discussed this week if there is a
quorum. E.g., he suggests reformulating the properties we use for length
along the lines originally suggested by Kris Rose, i.e, eliminate the
separate lengthUnits property to reduce coupling. Somehow Simon's version
seems simpler though.

...mikeb

Mike Beckerle
STSM, Architect, Scalable Computing
IBM Software Group
Information Platform and Solutions
Westborough, MA 01581
direct: voice and FAX 508-599-7148
assistant: Pam Riordan
                  priordan at us.ibm.com
                  508-599-7046

----- Forwarded by Mike Beckerle/Worcester/IBM on 06/27/2007 09:56 AM
-----

"Simon Parker" <simon.parker at polarlake.com>
06/20/2007 09:52 AM

Mike Beckerle/Worcester/IBM at IBMUS, "Martin Westhead" <westhead at avaya.com>

DFDL specification comments

Good afternoon.

As long promised, I've read the specification and embedded some comments
and suggested corrections with 'Track changes' switched on.
I have some observations that don't fit well in those little yellow boxes,
so I hope to air them on the wiki.

I see significant opportunities for simplifying the language and its
specification in the area would call 'composability' (encompassing 'Kernel
DFDL' and 'Layers'). In short: find a general way to define complex
structures as groups of simple fields.

I've already offered to try to find an alternative technique for
specifying parser semantics, but haven't made much progress with that yet.

Some ideas occurred to me as I read about defaults, null values and so on.
It's a smaller topic and maybe an easier starting point, so I created a
wiki page.

Like everyone, I've not much time to devote to this interesting and
worthwhile project. My contributions may seem sketchy, terse or ragged,
but they're well meant.

More later,
 Simon

Simon Parker
Software Consultant
PolarLake
80 Harcourt Street
Dublin 2, Ireland

Phone  +353 (1) 449-1075
Fax    +353 (1) 449-1011
Web    http://www.polarlake.com/

The information transmitted in this email is intended for the addressee
only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination, reliance upon or other use of this
information by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited.
If you think, for any reason, that this message may have been addressed to
you in error, we would ask you to notify the sender immediately by return
email and delete the material. PolarLake Limited | Registered in Dublin,
Ireland | Number 357324 | Registered office as above.