[DFDL-WG] Proposal to simplify null/optional/default handling

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Aug 29 13:47:13 CDT 2007

Mike, I'm trying to buy into the proposal that the provision of default
values on output is not the business of the unparser but I'm having
trouble. On the face of it that sounds ok, but I'm bothered with the
asymmetry with the parser, where we expect the parser to take a byte
stream with absent values and fill in defaults. To be analogous with the
unparser, wouldn't the parser then fire events saying 'absent' and let the
receiver fill in the defaults?  We'll be asked to justify this to wider
audience and it needs to be defendable, I'm not sure it currently is....?

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

Mike Beckerle <beckerle at us.ibm.com>
Sent by: dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

dfdl-wg at ogf.org

[DFDL-WG] Proposal to simlify null/optional/default handling

This proposal is a radical simplification of this stuff. Really collapses
it massively. Please give it some thought.

I did go through this with Geoff Judd who did the original research into
the complexity of this area.

Mike Beckerle
STSM, Architect, Scalable Computing
IBM Software Group