[DFDL-WG] DFDL and Multi-dimensional arrays - just say no to them?

Westhead, Martin (Martin) westhead at avaya.com
Wed Sep 20 12:27:52 CDT 2006

My first reaction is this: If we are confident that we have the
necessary hooks/extensibility mechanisms that multi dimensional arrays
can be defined in all their glory as a supplement. Then it is very easy
to say no.

Another tack on this is the following. I do not think that we need to
support arbitrary array representations in XML. However we do need to be
able to describe the data format including metadata such as array
dimensions etc. So I would push to go a little farther than your 1d
array and say we need to define a way to describe the
multidimensionality of your 1d array. Likewise it would be really good
to have metadata to capture the description of sparse representations...

Martin

  _____