[dfdl-wg] Telcon Tomorrow

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Mar 22 10:46:15 CST 2006

Hi Martin

I'd be interested in getting folk's opinion on escape schemes. Here's what
I have currently prescribed, which is more restrictive than has appeared in
earlier drafts to keep things simple:

"An escape scheme defines the properties that together describe the text
escaping rules in force when text markup is present in the data. There are
two variants on such schemes, the use of escape character(s) to switch off
interpretation of a subsequent character, or the use of opening and closing
quote character(s) to switch off interpretation of a contiguous group of
characters. The variants can be used together, for example, MS Excel CSV
use double quotes to surround data that includes a comma, and uses another
double quote to escape a double quote in the data. Nested quotes not
supported."

Questions:
- Is nested quoting needed?
- Are multiple alternate schemes needed for a given object? Like XML has
for quotes, for instance?
- If the separator/terminator etc is not a single char, what happens if
using an escape char?
     Eg, <CR><LF> is my separator, would I typiclly escape this like
\<CR>\<LF> or like \<CR><LF>
- On output quote generation can in theory be 'always', 'when needed',
'never' - is 'never' needed?
- On output escape generation can can in theory be 'when needed' or 'never'
- is 'never' needed?

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Message Brokers,
IBM United Kingdom Ltd, Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

             Geoff
             Judd/UK/IBM at IBMGB
             owner-dfdl-wg at ggf         "Westhead, Martin (Martin)"
             .org                      <westhead at avaya.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       dfdl-wg at ggf.org,
             22/03/2006 09:03          owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [dfdl-wg] Telcon Tomorrow

Martin,
            An agenda item that I have is to discuss the Support of
Uncertainty in DFDL document that I circulated last week.

Regards,

Geoff Judd
Websphere MQ Integrator Development
IBM United Kingdom Ltd.
Hursley

Telephone:  +44-1962-818461
E-mail:           JUDDG at uk.ibm.com

 "Westhead, Martin (Martin)"
 <westhead at avaya.com>
 Sent by: owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
                                                             <dfdl-wg at ggf.
 22/03/2006 04:09                                            org>

                                                             [dfdl-wg]
                                                             Telcon
                                                             Tomorrow

Sorry I missed last week and so I’m a little out of the loop I have no
agenda items at this point. Contributions welcomed?

Conference call instructions:
Number: 1-800-664-0771
At the automated answering system, press 0 for the operator.
Ask for the "Daffodil working group" call.

Web Conference: https://webconferencing.avaya.com
Web Conference: Part. Code 785343; WebConf Reference 158672