[dfdl-wg] DFDL Lite

Mike Beckerle beckerle at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 19 13:23:38 CDT 2006

I am not opposed to the DFDL Lite intellectual approach. I think this may
be very fruitful.

However, I want to clarify that IBM really wants, eventually, a standard
for pretty much all this functionality including all the knarly little
detailed properties, and accurate descriptions of their semantics.

After all we already have about 6 such non-standard systems, perhaps more,
any one of which is likely to be more powerful than a DFDL-Lite subset.
For us to justify investing in DFDL implementations we need to be able to
subsume the functionality of the internal implementations and move toward
a standard. This is the way this saves us money and adds value for our
customers.

That said, if this approach of DFDL-lite first makes our likelyhood of
overall success larger then this approach is fine.

To me this DFDL-lite concept is really about trying to make modular what
is currently monolithic. We shouldn't assume the DFDL v1.0 recommendation
will consist of only the "lite" or "core" module.

Key to this is the work on how to express complex behaviors like group
separation in a compact and modular fashion sort of like the current
conversions stuff for the basic types. If we get that figured out we'll be
able to take big complex areas like all the choice and uncertainty stuff,
or all the tagged initator complexity, and make it modular.

Mike Beckerle
STSM, Architect, Scalable Computing
IBM Software Group
Information Integration Solutions
Westborough, MA 01581
voice and FAX 508-599-7148
home/mobile office 508-915-4795

"Westhead, Martin \(Martin\)" <westhead at avaya.com>
Sent by: owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
07/19/2006 01:54 PM

<dfdl-wg at ggf.org>

[dfdl-wg] DFDL Lite

Hi Folks,

Today?s discussion really had me wondering about the size of the thing
that we are creating. We are probably looking at a complete spec that is
over 200 pages. I feel reasonably strongly that this is too unwieldy. I
don?t think that we have the editorial resource to effectively bug-check
the document and aside from IBM it is difficult to imagine that there are
many groups with the resource to implement it.

At the end of today?s call we started discussing features of XML Schema
that we might drop from the first release and my attitude to the
discussion was one of resistance. Do we really need to drop attributes?
Doesn?t the choices document we have pretty much handle wildcards.

We are agreed that the property set should be defined with optional
libraries around a small, but extensible core. I suggested today that we
take the same approach to the whole language.

What if were to focus on defining for our initial release a DFDL Lite and
look for a minimal set of properties and XML Schema mechanisms that would
be useful. Make it as simple and implementable as possible with a minimal
of XML Schema and a minimal set of properties. And define it in such a way
that we can add the rest of the material as modular supplements (ideally
without having to go back and change the existing semantics).

There was reasonable support for this approach from those that remained on
the call today. I wanted to float it to the group?thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Martin