[dfdl-wg] More documents

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jan 31 03:41:08 CST 2006

I've read the Conversions document and to be honest I had a great deal of
trouble trying to work out what was going on. I'd like to see an example of
a DFDL schema that models a text stream that contains (say) a complex type
with string, integer and decimal children, with DFDL properties used to
handle the implicit conversions from text to logical data type.  Then I'd
like to see the same DFDL schema but with equivalent conversions explicitly
declared and used instead of the DFDL properties.

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Message Brokers,
IBM Hursley, England
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

             Mike Beckerle
             <beckerle at us.ibm.
             Sent by:                  Mike Beckerle <beckerle at us.ibm.com>
             owner-dfdl-wg at ggf                                          cc
             .org                      dfdl-wg at ggf.org,
                                       owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org, "Westhead,
                                       Martin (Martin)"
             28/01/2006 04:17          <westhead at avaya.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [dfdl-wg] More documents

Oh yeah, forgot the attachment.
Mike Beckerle
STSM, Architect, Scalable Computing
IBM Software Group
Information Integration Solutions
Westborough, MA 01581
voice and FAX 508-599-7148
home/mobile office 508-915-4767

 Mike
 Beckerle/Worcester/IBM at IBMUS
 Sent by: owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
                                             "Westhead, Martin (Martin)"
 01/27/2006 07:50 PM                         <westhead at avaya.com>
                                                                        cc
                                             dfdl-wg at ggf.org,
                                             owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
                                                                   Subject
                                             Re: [dfdl-wg] More documents

Sorry I missed the call this past week. Here are my comments and some
in-line editing on the

I actually think the primary reason to push this document forward is NOT
extensibility, but because it is needed to clarify the basic semantics of
DFDL. That is, it allows us to make very clear exactly what properties in
the annotations are guiding the selection of which conversion functions.

...mikeb

 <westhead at avaya.com>
 Sent by: owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
                                                              <dfdl-wg at ggf
 01/23/2006 04:58 PM                                          .org>

                                                              [dfdl-wg]
                                                              More
                                                              documents

These are documents 3 and 4 of a set of 3 :).

The documents are:
-          bundles – a reusable block of DFDL statements
-          Conversions – a proposal for the semantic details as to how
conversions are chosen during the operation of a DFDL parser. These
semantics include a description as to how the conversions can be extended.

These documents round off the current set of proposals from the
extensibility design team. The team has reasonable consensus on these
documents, with the (relatively trivial) exception of bundles where there
may be some outstanding issues. We believe that with these two documents
there is enough material to support the necessary extensibility. However,
we have not yet worked through enough examples of round tripping to
understand whether that is sufficiently well covered and we are expecting
that all the ideas in these documents will require refining by the group as
a whole.

I would like to discuss these two documents on Wednesday (if possible).

Thanks,

Martin[attachment "DFDL_Conversions_4.doc" deleted by Mike
Beckerle/Worcester/IBM] [attachment "DFDL_Bundles_2.doc" deleted by Mike
Beckerle/Worcester/IBM]

(See attached file: DFDL_Conversions_4.doc)