[dfdl-wg] Telcon notes 2006-1-11

Westhead, Martin (Martin) westhead at avaya.com
Wed Jan 11 12:19:29 CST 2006

Present:

Bob McGrath

Tara Talbott

Steve Hanson

Geoff Judd

Martin Westhead

Mike Beckerle

1.     Face-2-face

We are looking at arranging a F2F in San Jose, Chicago or Boston on the
weeks of 13th Feb or 28th Feb.

2.     Context document

This was generally well received. Several issues were raised:

*	"DFDL Document" should be changed in the document to "DFDL
Schema"

*	Term for describing the input is undecided candidates include:
feed, source, stream

*	"Annotations Schema for DFDL" is used for the Schema document
for the DFDL annotations

*	The term for the code to write data out was discussed candidates
include:  Unparser, Serializer or Writer

*	There was some confusion about the fact that the concept of
"Context" was just about value store. This should be made more explicit.

*	Should point out that a "stacked discipline is being followed"
i.e. local contexts pop on (and off)

*	We re-opened the discussion as to whether annotations be allowed
on types. (MDW: I believe that the semantics that I am developing here
make sense for annotations anywhere in the document)

*	Simplify the distinction between "properties" and "variables".
Everything should be refered to as a "Context value" or (equivalently a
"property") distinctions between predefined properties and user-defined
properties should be based on name-space

*	There is a technical issue with establishing namespaces in
annotations (and indeed the context) which needs to be addressed.