[dfdl-wg] More documents

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Feb 1 12:27:15 CST 2006

I'll see what I can come up with.

As far as the embedded XML goes, I put it there as we will be asked this
question. Thinking it through, maybe we should simply treat it as a BLOB
and leave it to the user to take and parse using an XML parser as an
independent operation. This is symmetric with an XML document containing a
non-XML BLOB as CDATA that needed to be parsed using DFDL.

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Message Brokers,
IBM Hursley, England
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

             "Robert E.
             McGrath"
             <mcgrath at ncsa.uiu                                          To
             c.edu>                    dfdl-wg at ggf.org
             owner-dfdl-wg at ggf
             .org                                                  Subject
                                       Re: [dfdl-wg] More documents

             01/02/2006 15:03

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 07:03, Steve Hanson wrote:

> - A portion of the data is encrypted, with fields in the message prior to
> the encrypted section providing the decryption keys etc. (X12 security
> segment motivates this)
> - Data where some XML is embedded in the middle
> - Data where decimal fields (say) are in a wacky encoding not supported
by
> stock DFDL properties (TLOG retail standard motivates here)

Thease are great examples.  Can someone give me fully documented
data files from which to try to construct such examples?

By the way, I'm not sure whether embedded XML is within the scope
of DFDL--it gets insanely hairy.

But the others are exactly the kinds of things that the core standard
must either cover or have an extension mechanism that covers.

--
---
Robert E. McGrath, Ph.D.

mcgrath at ncsa.uiuc.edu