[dfdl-wg] How to deal with variable length elements?

Westhead, Martin (Martin) westhead at avaya.com
Wed Apr 5 09:26:23 CDT 2006

Hi,

This looks fine to me (modulo old syntax) except I don't understand the
need to introduce this construct: "@dfdl:index". I guess in today's
terms we might thing of this as a value in the context. However, I claim
that we don't need it. I think we can achieve the same effect with the
XPath function position().

position() should tell you where you are in the current sequence. If you
want to know where you are in the parent sequence you can use
../position(). If your index starts from 0 use position()-1. If you
store two elements in your sequence for every index (e.g. flat array of
x-y coordinates) use position()/2.

What does @dfdl:index do that you don't get out of position()?

Cheers,

Martin