Arrays issue - Re: [dfdl-wg] Issues: additional data types

Mike Beckerle beckerle at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 6 14:48:52 CDT 2005

I need an example of this blobby array scheme. To me this concept makes no
sense. We're embedded in XSD's type system, so if you can talk about
arrays at all, then there has to be a logical model for them, and that
means a way to talk about them in XSD independent of DFDL annotations.

We COULD propose an extension to XSD for arrays. Is that what you mean?

...mikeb

Mike Beckerle
Architect, Scalable Computing
IBM Software Group
Information Integration Solutions
Westborough, MA

Jim Myers <jimmyers at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Sent by: owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
09/06/2005 12:44 PM

dfdl-wg at gridforum.org

Re: Arrays issue - Re: [dfdl-wg] Issues: additional data types

>Array as blob:  markup says 'this is an array, laid out like so',
>data is a big blob. (Probably this is what Jim is talking about)

Yes

>Array as external blob:  same as above, except payload is a URL,
>e.g., to OpenDAP server where the data is. (Ideal for "virtual datasets")

I definitely want to see data virtualization services based on DFDL, but I

don't think we need do anything specific in the language to provide
externally available access methods for parts of the described data set.

   Jim