[dfdl-wg] New draft of DFDL primer

Geoff Judd JUDDG at uk.ibm.com
Thu Oct 20 07:40:07 CDT 2005

Robert,
              In the first paragraph of section 1.4 you that DFDL is used
to describe XML files. I thought this was not the aim of DFDL as standard
XML Schema can be used to describe XML files.

In the third paragraph of section 1.6 you say that 2 DFDL Schemas could be
used, one to raad the data and trhe second to write it. If selectors are
used this would be possible using a single DFDL Schema.

In section 2.3.1.1 you discuss specifiying multiple inputs. As this has
not been discussed in any detail before I think a new entry is required on
the issues list.

In the parsing example in section 6 you say in paragraph 3 that layer 2
reads bytes from layer 1 until one string has been read. How would you
know that you have a one string for layer 2? In reality I don't think
layer 2 is necessary. I think what you describe as layer 3 would read
bytes from layer 1 as characters until a comma was found. This would then
indicate that this was the end of the string for layer 3.

Regards,

Geoff Judd
Websphere MQ Integrator Development
IBM UK Ltd
Hursley

Telephone:  +44-1962-818461
E-mail:           JUDDG at uk.ibm.com

"Robert E. McGrath" <mcgrath at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Sent by: owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org

dfdl-wg at gridforum.org

[dfdl-wg] New draft of DFDL primer

Greetings,

I have been plugging away on the primer document.  There are still
major holes which await development of the specification and/or
input from others.

This draft include considerable revisions based on what I learned
from you all in Boston.

I attach my current draft here.  It is also available at:

  http://verbena.ncsa.uiuc.edu/DFDL

--
---
Robert E. McGrath, Ph.D.

mcgrath at ncsa.uiuc.edu
[attachment "new_primer_18_oct_05.doc" deleted by Geoff Judd/UK/IBM]