Array storage order attribute - was RE: [dfdl-wg] How to handle m ulti-dimensional arrays - version 2

Mike Beckerle mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com
Thu Mar 3 10:26:07 CST 2005

First to address this tiny issue:

> One other minor point - if the order of x and y in the DFDL
> file is important (as it is in the example), do we need a
> <dfdl:array storageOrder="firstDimensionChangesFirst">
> option? OR can we just list y first and then x?

I thought about using listing order. I decided that people want to list the
dimensions in the order they think of them. In this case x first, then y,
irrespective of what the storage order is. Then express that
representational tweak separately.

We could make it a default that lastDimensionChangesFirst then you'd only
need to express this attribute if you've listed the dimensions backward, or
you've got column-major data.

I'm opposed to most default settings for rep properties. I'm with the XML
philosophy of being explicit about everything every time. But in this case
it seems ok.