[dfdl-wg] How to handle multi-dimensional arrays - version 2

mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com
Thu Mar 3 08:13:01 CST 2005

Here's a slightly different formulation of the multi-dimension stuff.

1) no longer dictates the XSD for representing the array. This cuts both
ways since you no longer really have an XSD model for multi-dimensional
arrays. That is. It is up to the author of the DFDL Schema to insure the
needed information about the array (coordinates of each element) make it in
to the logical model in a useful way.

2) I added in the complexity of calculating the array size, actually the
lower and upper bounds of each dimension, dynamically based on data. This
makes the example more real.

This still works out pretty well. I'm still pondering whether I like this
better or not. I'm thinking about perhaps some sort of pseudo attributes
which are guaranteed to be put into XML if you actually render to XML, but
where a DFDL API-based implementation can choose not to realize them.

Your comments appreciated.