[dfdl-wg] new specs from w3c

mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com
Wed Jan 26 15:10:06 CST 2005

This info FYI.

We will be asked to position DFDL vis a vis XML optimized via XOP for
example.

I don't think this changes anything. These are again "prescriptive" data
representation schemes. DFDL is descriptive. But it is addressing some of
the "XML is too bloated and slow" concerns bit by bit.

Also, I think XOP is only efficient if used to package large binary objects
like images and such. If you had data with lots of small fields in it then
XOP doesn't help.

...mikeb

cg20W3C Specs for "Faster, Efficient" Web Services

Section: 04. Application Development and Platforms

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) yesterday issued three recommended web
services specifications, designed to efficiently package and transmit binary
data included in, or referenced in, SOAP 1.2.

The group has released XML-binary Optimized Packaging (XOP), SOAP Message
Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM) and Resource Representation SOAP
Header Block (RRSHB). In a statement, the W3C said the specifications means
web services "just became faster and more usable."

Michael Curry

Ascential SOA Product Marketing

O: 508-599-7157

M: 508-904-7384