[dfdl-wg] Telcon Notes

Westhead, Martin (Martin) westhead at avaya.com
Tue Dec 13 11:57:44 CST 2005

Hi Geoff,

I'll certainly put this on the agenda. If anyone has anything else
please let me know.

Also some comments:

1.	I'd like to understand how variables relate to parameters,
specifically:

	a.	Could we actually define variables to be user-defined
parameters? (if not, why not?)
	b.	If (a) doesn't work can we have variables use the same
scoping rules as parameters?

2.	In the extensibility group we have been talking about reference
direction. It was proposed that XPaths in a DFDL document can only refer
to elements higher up the document (i.e. backwards only) they cannot
reference things below them (which will not yet have been parsed). With
the use of "hidden layers" this can be done without loss of generality.

I would suggest that variable references should work this way. I.e you
are only allowed to refer to data that has already been parsed.

Thanks,

Martin

  _____