[dfdl-wg] Draft document just under the wire for "official" commentary at GGF15

Mike Beckerle beckerle at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 29 12:49:08 CDT 2005

I updated the docs with my minor corrections.
...mikeb

Mike Beckerle
Architect, Scalable Computing
IBM Software Group
Information Integration Solutions
Westborough, MA

Mike Beckerle/Worcester/IBM at IBMUS
Sent by: owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
08/27/2005 10:58 AM

Mike Beckerle/Worcester/IBM at IBMUS
cc
dfdl-wg at gridforum.org, owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
Subject
Re: [dfdl-wg] Draft document just under the wire for "official" commentary
at GGF15

Please expect an update to the doc draft. In reading a dead-tree version
of the document I've discovered an annoying number of typographical
snafus. Places where I expected to move something through cut and paste,
but apparently copied instead, leaving the same content in 2 places.

It's amazing how much more easily I read and spot these things on paper
than on screen. Poor trees :-(

I believe the document is readable as is, but I do want to fix up a few of
these things as soon as I can.

Sent by: owner-dfdl-wg at ggf.org
08/26/2005 06:26 PM

dfdl-wg at gridforum.org

[dfdl-wg] Draft document just under the wire for "official" commentary at
GGF15

See
http://forge.gridforum.org/docman2/ViewCategory.php?group_id=113&category_id=803&language_id=1&sort0=ddate&dir0=1

The document is "DFDL Proposal" and is posted in word and pdf formats. If
you use the above URL it should be the top 2 documents on your display.

We made the official deadline which means I can really needle people to
study this document and comment on it on or before GGF15.

A couple of notes: My group at IBM produced this draft. While we tried to
fold in the viewpoints of others at IBM that we have been working with
over the past few months, I cannot represent that this document reflects
any overall consolidated "IBM opinion" on DFDL at this time. There hasn't
been time for the rounds of IBM-internal review that would require. Rather
this is  my group's take on things. It reflects our best shot at how to
combine the concepts of the OMG TD model and its attributes with the rest
of the DFDL concepts. We updated the scoping proposal to fix some
ambiguities left over from the F2F last may, and there's a section on
layering which only starts to tell the story about this powerful
capability, but is a good start at it. There's a middle section which just
gets started at the agenda of explaining all the subtlety of exactly how
delimiting and tagging work, and how lengths and positions are determined
and so forth.

You'll see lots of TBDs and rationale discussion in here still. My goal is
that by or at GGF15 we resolve many of these so these rationale blocks can
move down into the appendices or into separate documents, allowing us to
focus on the meat of specifying the core behavior more thoroughly.

In the appendix which contains the rep-properties detail you'll see lots
of conflicts. E.g., we have byteOrder=bigEndian/littleEndian AND we have
bigEndian=true/false.  This is intentional and is the remnants of joining
forces with the OMG Type-descriptor model. We need to decide on these
conflicts i.e., for each one, which way do we want to go.  There are quite
a few such conflicts to be resolved.

Our prototype implementation does not implement exactly what is described
in this draft, though it is quite close. The differences are fairly
insignificant.

I recommend grabbing the MSWord version, and inserting lots of comment
blocks as you read it using the comments feature. It is a big document
though (50 pages), and different parts of it are more accessible than
others, so do what you will.