[SPAM] RE: [dfdl-wg] BSDF

mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com
Wed Nov 24 09:44:34 CST 2004

Good find Jim,

One thing we can look at from these guys is their handling of bit-packed
fields. I've kind of been hand-waving the whole bit-level thing recently as
less important than "hard issues" of compositionality and layering, but we
do have to face this issue eventually.

Other than that, from my skim I don't see how we don't end up just subsuming
what they do. I expect there's quite a few efforts out there to add some
sort of dense-packed format description capability to XML. Until DFDL really
"comes out" I think we'll see more and more of this. In some sense this
bodes well for the eventual success of DFDL.

In every case I suggest we reach out to them to be sure they are aware of
the DFDL effort, and then they can decide to contribute or not, but at least
they won't be working in a vaccum. At some point we'll badly need poeple to
review specs and consider if DFDL meets their needs.

...mikeb

  _____