[dfdl-wg] Transform examples

Martin Westhead martinwesthead at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 11:31:09 CST 2004

Hi Alan,

Thanks for this. Some thoughts/questions/comments that occurred to me
looking at your example.

First a general point:

  - On one of the calls which I think was just me and the IBMers they
pointed out quite strongly that the ther "transformation" has other
connotations that make it very confusing here, Mike also agrees. I think
we need to choose a different name to avoid such confusion. Mike
suggested "converters"/"convertions" which is suitably general. I also
thought about "casting" but I think that's perhaps too specific. Either
way it would be nice to choose something or our discussions will be
rather difficult to follow.

(I'll continue to use transform for this email...)

On the example:
  - I was expecting the definition of the input and output types to the
transform should have equal status. Here it seems that the input is
specified implicitly in the parameter set it will accept.

  - Why does asciiToInt read byte[]? I would expect it to read at least
char[] (or probably xs:string, since there is no xs:char). The intent
would be that you could then compose it with a character converter of
your choice.

  - In general I think the typing and compositional properties of the
transformations are the nut that requires cracking here. My proposal is
that the types should be specified in XML data model at all levels so
instead of byte[] you would have:

<xs:sequence>
   <xs:element name="anon" type="xs:byte" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</xs:sequence>

that's all for now...

Cheers,