[dfdl-wg] simple way to study hard DFDL example problem - IBM Format VS rec ords as XML

mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com
Fri Nov 19 09:43:47 CST 2004

You are thinking along the lines I was; however, the challenge is that I
cannot find a way to do this using multilayer so I'm uncomfortable
suggesting that it's possible at all anymore. Here's some reasoning why.

In particular, it's the intersection of the induction across the items with
the first, middle*, last thing, and the spanning that seems to defy my
efforts to cut it up into progressive transformation layer by layer. In some
conversations I've referred to this problem as the "non-conforming trees"
problem. The fundamental shapes of the trees are not compatible, and
expressing the transformation between them isn't easily done via induction
of any kind on one or the other of the trees.

To me the First, Middle*, Last thing is very problematic. It's effectively a
little regular language (in the formal sense) that has to be recognized.
Generally this requires a finite-state-machine, and what makes FSMs
interesting and complex is always the way you diagnose malformed data in
addition to recognizing correct data.

Now, a finite-state-machine is, to my mind, the ultimate procedural
abstraction, the quintessential opposite of "declarative" expression. To be
declarative about a FSM you end up saying "recognize this regular language",
and providing a description of the regular language, which is of course,
just begging the question of how it actually works.

(And for us, we're not really talking about a regular language of character
text, but a pattern of usage in the binary data layout that obeys the
pattern of a regular language. So it's not like having a little regular
expression thing for validating text strings helps with this problem.)

I guess I'm arguing that a black box approach to this is not only
acceptable, but is highly likely to be the only "good" way to do it. In
light of this I've suggested a rep property called "streamFormat" (perhaps
should be renamed "recordFormat"), which gets values from the set VS, V,
VBS, FB, FBS, etc. etc. all these well-defined legacy data formats (there
are 19 of them I think).  In additon, one should be able to extend this by
introduction of a blackbox transformation.

And ... here's the rub...if that's true for this case, then other "hard"
examples like run-length encoding seem also in this category.

There's several "leaps of faith" just made in these arguments, so i'd still
like people to take this "XML challenge" and see if there's some magic I'm
overlooking.

...mikeb

  _____