[DFDL-WG] Action 228: TDML file with tutorial content - mock-up

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:59:16 EDT 2015

This is a mock up of how a TDML file might be turned into a self-contained
executable from which tutorial HTML can be directly generated.

I started from tutorial 6.

The HTML file should be viewable in any browser. Keep in mind it lacks a
corresponding stylesheet, so it's rather ugly as HTML pages go, but it does
use this very nice javascript formatter for the data and XML sections which
does colorizing (which can be customized as to colors/shading, etc.).

I am not sure how to reproduce the bolding of the interesting lines that is
done in the original schemas of the tutorial.

Nor is there a robust way to refer to line numbers without counting them.

But I still think this is pretty interesting.

I think the next exercise would be trying to use HTML Table nesting to
provide richer data descriptions for binary data where nested boxes are
really necessary. I'm thinking along the lines of:

      <document tutorialBoxes="[
]">[...abc][def[ghi]jkl][mnop][qrs...]</document>

translating the brackets there into boxes that nest in the expected manner.
If data contains brackets, then the tutoriaBoxes attribute would be set to
use different characters not found in the data.
I want to have there be some way to provide data pictures which show nested
boxes without a lot of effort.