[dfdl-wg] DFDL telcon reminder

Jim Myers jimmyers at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 17 17:18:04 CDT 2005

Tara, Bob Mcgrath (NCSA), and I hung out for 30 minutes on the call. Here
are our notes:

Primer: Bob is going to take a stab at updating the primer doc as part of a
PNNL/DOE subcontract to NCSA. Bob has experience with the group that
developed the HDF file format (prescriptive, but more of a metaformat that
can handle any data) and has previously written a paper outlining what a
descriptive format approach like DFDL would need to be effective. He'll be
joining the mailer and has the current primer, examples, the DFDL schema
used for the PNNL parser and some powerpoints as input. If there's other
material he should look at or other efforts to update the primer going on,
please post to the list so we can synch things up.

One reason for the push here, aside from the confluence of expertise and $
is that I talked with the developers of XDTM and promised them some new
info that would help frame a discussion for integrating their work into DFDL.

IBM draft layer doc - we had no one around who new about it, so no
discussion. It would probably good input for the primer...

PNNL DFDL parser: PNNL has officially released the current parser code as
public domain. I'm working now to drop that in a sourceforge project called
"Defuddle" with an Apache 2 license so that we'll have a common license for
future contributions from PNNL, NCSA, and others. (There are some humorous
bits to the story, but essentially it is faster to go this route than to
have PNNL copyright and open source the code itself.) Hopefully this will
be in place in a very few days.

   Jim

  At 08:56 AM 8/17/2005 +0100, Martin Westhead wrote:
>DFDL conference call on Wednesday at 9am pacific time.
>
>Preliminary Agenda
>------------------
>  - Update on IBM draft doc (will someone be on who can do this?)
>  - Primer update, Jim Meyers
>

>Conference call instructions:
>Number: 1-800-664-0771
>At the automated answering system, press 0 for the operator.
>Ask for the "Daffodil working group" call.
>

>Note: Unfortunately despite this burst of organisational energy I may be
>unable to attend the call. If I am not there could someone take (brief)
>notes of what is discussed and either send to me or circulate on the list
>- thanks - Martin

James D. Myers
NCSA, M/C 476-152 CAB
605 East Springfield