[dcifed-wg] DCIFed status

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Mon May 30 15:33:11 CDT 2011

Hi,

I working on a taxonomy focusing on asset management aggregation. CDMI
is well on its way identifying a class of assets and a taxonomy for
describing policies pertaining to deployment strategies.

OVF, can be considered a XML representation of a DMFT CIM profile. This
is important positioning statement maturing OGF/DMTF integration.
However, OVF is only an XML interchange format for VM deployments.

A paper on synergies between OCCI/CDMI/OVF is may be a little weak at
this point, especially since there is no commitment from the DMTF of
moving forward with this initiative.

  I have released a presentation on bonding OVF to CDMI, I had also
placed one of my developers working on the implementation part time in
April. The presentation was posted on the OCCI mailing list a few weeks
ago. It included a mapping of OVF elements to OCCI resources as well as
a list of unreconciled issues pertaining to incongruous behavioral models.

There are several unresolved issues I had wanted to get addressed in
Boulder, but exploring OGF/DMTF logistics, alignment of  use cases, fit
into road maps and DMTF jockeying for meaningless political control of
activities, interfered with any practical progress on the
implementation. BTW, please exclude Winston Bumpus from any statements
about the DMTF, Winston is always the most gracious.

Just as a matter of historical record, the discussion of bringing OVF
into the OCCI offering started over a year ago last year between Mark
Carlson and myself. Although there had been some preliminary discussions
in the OCCI working group, the meeting with Mark Carlson resulted in me
committing any excess AlloyCloud funding towards that goal. One major
issue inhibiting progress was the state of the OCCI specifications. I'll
restart work on the OVF project as funding/resources becomes available.
I hope to have a working OVF implementation as a well as a new c++ OCCI
code and CDMI support in OpenNebula by the end of this year.

Back to DCI-Fed

We can take a few strategies for use cases:

1) Develop our own...
2) Leverage use cases referenced in other intiatives and stds we are
considering for inclusion in DCI-Fed
3) Refer to documented best practice white papers and case studies.

Before we jump in with two feet and having all oars driving in a
direction, we need to have a meeting on vision and outcome, just to make
sure we are all on the same page.

@Craig, do you have a reference on Vivek's document management pitch ?

-gary