[dcifed-wg] DCIFed status

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 09:41:01 CDT 2011

Hi Al,

Comments In line...

On 6/7/2011 3:46 AM, alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de wrote:
> Hey Gary,
>
> Am 30.05.2011 um 22:33 schrieb Gary Mazz:
>
> --8<-- snip --8<--
>
>> Back to DCI-Fed
>>
>> We can take a few strategies for use cases:
>>
>> 1) Develop our own...
> Nope. I don't think use cases should come from within the working group if they are not endorsed by any external project. That said, all group members (also those "only" on the mailing list) are more than welcome to submit use cases, even if they are simple. DCIfed is in the stage of trying to find focus.
I think there are two ways of looking at internally developed use cases
1) Create a Use Case(s) to support the overall vision of the project,
where other use cases fall short
2) Create  Use Case that will be able to create new opportunities for
DCI-Fed adopter, even if no one is doing them today.

This is where innovation is interjected into the process, otherwise we
end up just rehashing old models

>> 2) Leverage use cases referenced in other intiatives and stds we are considering for inclusion in DCI-Fed
> IIRC, the following points are floating around for a while now:
>
> - the original "DGSI" use case (federation of traditional, community-focused Grid environments)
Agreed
> - the "EGI" use case with OCCI + OVF + CDMI (maybe something else here?) + Federated Security
Maybe I'm missing something ?? I don't see the value proposition at this
level, maybe OCCI and CDMI at  the next level of detail.
> - the "Gary" use case (see other mails)
These are not "my" use cases, but requirements of a $40B IT consumer in
the US Fed
> While DGSI is the most advanced (specs have been written in the project and most problems have been cleared out), it also is the one with the least impact, addressing a very specific problem closely related to research infrastructures.
DGSI has some very good specifications, but is not a clear solution. It
does require a rather costly integration, tough to justify in the
current economy.
> The EGI use case, in turn, is the one moving forward fastest and being very close to what has been done in the last months by Thijs and Andy within OCCI anyway. Alas, I am not aware how much interest comes from Steven and David to really push this forward in DCIfed (they have published an "EGI" document on this already, see https://www.egi.eu/indico/getFile.py/access?resId=0&materialId=1&confId=415). Regarding the "Gary" use case, we can just discuss this on the list.
I like this EGI document. It the first that ca be described as a true
reference architecture for deploying VMs in the Grid.  I like the
concept of the message bus, but it need to be broken out in more detail.
The editorial mentions the bus may be a series of brokers, which makes
them VOs. I believe part of DCIfed is to provide composition and
orchestration between VOs participating in on the message EGI message
bus. Maybe a service composition model, ala TINA/CORBA/SOA.

EGI is only one use case. We need to also look at the overall
requirements relevant for cloud computing.
> With respect to Craig's proposal to compile use cases, I fully agree. I'd therefore propose that we collect the "DCIfed internal" use cases (i.e. the ones that have been submitted to the group already or will be submitted in the future), and align them with the ones mentioned by Craig.
Agreed. I posted the US Fed requirements to kick start the work... as
the first entries to the list. I'm compiling a list of other
specifications that may prove valuable to the possible approaches we can
take.

> Taking up Vivek's document management workflow is surely a good idea; we'd still need someone to endorse it in the group, though.

The document management work flow is not as easy as one would like to
believe, especially for the US Fed. There are several types of document
management work flows deployed in the Fed. Some are mandated by law
while other are entrenched in enterprise architectures, none easily
changed. The other issue with the document management work flow is
different agencies have individual document managed states and work
flows, each optimized for the organization's mission. Some work flows
are extra-organizational, between agencies and departments.

What is needed is a scheme for managing documents by separating the
document artifact from the work flow process. Then artifacts can be
shared across multiple work flows with each work flow maintaining its
document state applicable for the appropriate mission.

This case is why composition and orchestration is incredibly important
for DCIfed. (IMO)
>> 3) Refer to documented best practice white papers and case studies.
> I'd rather use this for reference purposes in any upcoming document.
Agreed-- and the intent
>> Before we jump in with two feet and having all oars driving in a direction, we need to have a meeting on vision and outcome, just to make sure we are all on the same page.
> Agreed. I will schedule a session for the upcoming OGF in Salt Lake City in mid of July. It's co-located with TeraGrid this year, so there should be enough reason to come.
I'll try to make  Salt Lake. Funding is becoming an issue again.