[dais-wg] RE: [ogsa-d-wg] New version of architecture document

Mario Antonioletti mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jul 3 07:43:40 CDT 2006

Hi,
    Cc'ing this to the DAIS list in case anyone else wants to pitch in.
For context Dave is referring to the Data Access section in the OGSA
Data Architecture document which contains a section on data access
that comes from the DAIS perspective.

> 1. Derived data resources.  WS-DAI has properties that show whether
> updates to a child are reflected in the parent and vice-versa.  I think
> we mention derived data in passing; we could say more about it and treat
> it more consistently.

This is related to one  the suggested access patterns mentioned in
section 7.1 (the Factory pattern). If you promote this section to
a more general place in the document the discussion of the patterns
and consequences of it could be put there.

> 2. Concurrent access and local transaction support.  ByteIO deliberately
> says nothing about concurrent access; we should at least mention this.
> Possible we should consider these issues across all data services?  The
> discussion of distributed transactions in 3.9 should mention the WS-DAI
> support for local transactions.

Some of the properties could certainly be generic service properties,
or OGSA data specific, etc. In this instance concurrent access and local
transaction support I think are probably generic properties even though
in most cases it may well be to say that local transaction support is
not available.

> 3. The WS-DAI CoreResource interface handles mapping from abstract names
> to addresses. We need to understand how this relates to the OGSA naming
> scheme.

In a way this was to try and keep both the pro- and anti- WSRF community
happy. The OGSA WS-Naming was not advanced enough for us to use it at
the time of writing - the ability to have the name of the data
resource that a message was targetting either in the body of the
message and/or the header and the ability to map between these two
usages ... an abstract name in DAIS is a URI. Not sure
if that fits in with the OGSA Naming effort. The naming thing was
big issue in DAIS and it would be a long discussion to go over it. Also,
you really mean CoreResourceList here and not CoureResource - right?

> 4. WS-DAI defines properties for the name of a resource and a
> human-readable description of the resource.  These seem reasonably
> generic properties - we (or even the OGSA WG) might want to consider
> whether they are more widely useful.  (Or perhaps we should ask the DAIS
> WG to explain why they are necessary in WS-DAI if they are not needed
> anywhere else).

I think they could be more generic. At the time the DAIS specs were
being written though I'm not sure if anyone else was using these. It
might be good to have such a generic set of properties recommended
by OGSA ... I don't think there was anything specific to DAIS in
these.

> Finally, I note that section 11.3 mentions enhanced access operations
> that would ease the federation of a data resource.  This is worth a
> forward mention from the data access section itself.

Or does it constitute a pattern in itself? Not looked in detail at this
... otherwise a forward reference is possible ....

Hope this helps and if anyone from DAIS wants to pitch in or read the
OGSA Data Architecture document (and comment then please do so).

 			Mario

> Dave.

|Mario Antonioletti:EPCC,JCMB,The King's Buildings,Edinburgh EH9 3JZ.   |
|Tel:0131 650 5141|mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk|http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~mario/ |