[dais-wg] Telcon Minutes from 17/05/05.

Savas Parastatidis Savas.Parastatidis at newcastle.ac.uk
Sat May 21 19:05:31 CDT 2005

Dear all,

I am really surprised that the discussion has moved once again to
whether the interfaces should be designed using an object-oriented
approach.

>From the minutes below, I see that there are still some serious
misunderstandings of the position I have been expressing...

- I have never suggested that there is no state encapsulated or used by
services. Have a look at the amazon.com Web Services. They provide
access to lots and lots of data without requiring explicit modelling of
state. They use explicit identifiers to access 'datasets' stored by the
service (e.g. product id in order to get information about a product).

- The use of .NET or Java or other technologies has nothing to do with
service design and Web Services technologies.

- The use of a particular technology to implement the way in which state
is stored and managed by a service implementation has nothing to do with
interoperability.

- Also, the 'context' approach is a mechanism to achieve stateful
interactions or to logically correlate messages in a distributed
activity. There are other mechanisms as well (e.g. the use of session
IDs).

- The use of WS-I Basic Profile specs only does not mean that state
cannot exist behind the service boundaries. Look at the SkyServer,
Amazon Web Services, etc.

I hope these help!

Best regards,
--