List congestion

zeynep at keemail.me zeynep at keemail.me
Wed Sep 20 13:38:15 PDT 2023

Thank you for this information, Greg. This is a matter that should be discussed here. The cpunks mailing list has been under spam email attacks for years, but in the last few years, a person claiming to be named "Karl" has been sending a large number of spam emails. I refer to this person as the user with the username "Karl," of course, this is not “their” real identity. Of course, they use some intermediary programs while doing these. This is an attack, just like in previous years.
    There are even more important details; most of the emails disappear in the archive. These spam emails coming from Karl and various usernames are disrupting the archive. These are attacks similar to those in previous years, but they serve as a barrier for many to escape from here and exchange ideas with each other. It leads to the breakdown of the community and causes people worldwide who share similar ideas to abandon this community, among many other things.
   This situation prevents the discussion of many important topics; people have become much more indifferent towards governments compared to the 90s. Except for the 2010s, now most people don't care about their data being collected, and those in such communities are being blocked with this 'exhaustion method’
While usernames like Karl (may sound anti-democratic), technical sanctions should be applied. My message to the people here is to overlook these and discuss again what we can do next.
Regards
Zeynep