Sat Sep 2 09:44:42 PDT 2023

regarding turing machines many thoughts passed, but something around
solving a branch of the halting problem being akin not only to
cryptography but also to solving all of math — it can seem like you
basically need to solve more of mathematics than the pathological
program did, to figure out what it’s going to do.
similarities with evolution of life.

basically, some things appear impossible, but by pursuing these things
we find so much more, and there is mysterious meaning in there.

but it doesn’t look li’e the halting problem would be trivially
solveable, even if the pointed pathological program situation were
addressed, because of the unsolvedness of all of math. but most of the
spaces we work in are ones where our small plans complete. that’s
what!s useful to us. so, there’s a lot usefulness in predicting how
likely something is to halt — and we can probably solve things within
that space of usefulness because we’re incredibly familiar with it.

the turing meta algebra seems interesting for a lot of things and i’m
realizing this is likely something studied in computer science in
order to prove the behavior of programs. making it probabilistic etc
would overlap with the real world and AI, and making it
self-referential helps make things robust and make self-improving
systems, and maybe this was a confusion turing bumped it, it’s hard to
think of that.

a great fear or excitement in some spaces of systems that take off
incredibly. i suspect we have experienced such things already, and
badly need to study and discuss them to relax around them. hard to
include, i suppose there is s9me other way i want to engage or mentjon
it.