[log][personal][ot] digital strangenesses

Fri Oct 20 04:44:02 PDT 2023

i'm briefly in the parking lot of the closest walmart to the
university in akron, ohio
and unlike other walmart parking lots, the wifi here is gated with a
portal that uses javascript and forwards to different sites
i logged in via the portal but it wouldn't stick on my laptop, but
would on my borrowed ipad after a reconnect.
when i reconnected on the laptop, it asked me to log in again, but
wanted to forward me to www.cnn.com, accept a certificate chrome
deemed incorrect, and then be forwarded from www.cnn.com to
www.walmart.com to be logged in.
it's possible that the access point is filtering to only allow devices
online with compromised ssl cert stores.