Coronavirus: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue May 16 00:05:31 PDT 2023

They should tell the Govt Schools to go fuck themselves with at
least three syringes, then go teach voluntaryism and other fine
subjects in private, neighborhood, church, and home schools.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/fired-teachers-who-refused-covid-vaccine-to-get-full-reinstatement-and-back-pay_5264466.html

Fired Teachers Who Refused COVID Vaccine to Get Full Reinstatement and Back Pay
A COVID-19 vaccination hub at Central Falls High School in Central
Falls, Rhode Island, on Feb. 13, 2021. (Joseph Prezioso/AFP via Getty
Images)
By Jack Phillips
May 14, 2023Updated: May 15, 2023

Three Rhode Island teachers who were fired for refusing the COVID-19
vaccine have been offered their jobs back with full back pay after
reaching a settlement with the school district.

Teachers Stephanie Hines, Brittany DiOrio, and Kerri Thurber were
terminated from their positions in Barrington Public Schools after
they had requested a religious exemption after the school mandated
employees get the vaccine.

Last week, their attorney, Greg Piccirilli, and the school district
said they had reached a settlement, allowing the teachers to return to
their jobs. They are also each entitled to $33,333 in damages along
with their back pay. DiOrio will get $150,000, Thurber will get
$128,000, and Hines will receive $65,000 under the agreement.

“The three teachers have the opportunity to return to teaching
positions within the Barrington School District should they choose to
do so, at the steps they would have been at had they worked
continuously,” the Barrington Public Schools district said in a
statement on May 11.

In a statement to the Boston Globe, Piccirilli said that his clients
are “extremely gratified that they’ve been vindicated in their
position,” adding that he will get $50,000 in attorneys fees as part
of the settlement. “A lot of people were dismissive and skeptical of
their claims at the time,” he told the Boston Globe. “They went
through a lot of personal trauma dealing with this. Their faith has
gotten them through this.”

Meanwhile, Barrington Public Schools told the Providence Journal that
it reached the settlement because the litigation would likely put a
drag on the school’s resources and funding. It attempted to distance
itself from its own vaccine mandate by claiming that it was dealing
with the spread of COVID-19, although there is a growing body of
evidence that shows the vaccines do not prevent the spread of the
virus.

“Our district was navigating an unprecedented health pandemic and
leaned on the important recommendations by the CDC and the Rhode
Island Department of Health to ensure the safety of our students and
school community,” the Barrington School Committee said Thursday,
according to the outlet. “Our then-policy helped combat the pressing
public health crisis of the time, while keeping schools open, and
[was] one that nearly all faculty and staff adhered to.”

It added that “we determined this ongoing, expensive litigation” would
likely continue for a lengthy period of time, and a resolution should
be reached because the “administration’s time, and our district’s
financial resources, should be spent on the daily work and mission of
Barrington Public Schools … our School Committee looks forward to
continuing to support this important work.”
Details

The three were first placed on unpaid leave in late 2021 before they
were fired in January 2022, according to statements made by the
district and the teachers. During a hearing in Barrington in October
2021, DiOrio said that she “did nothing wrong.”

“I have done nothing wrong. This is destroying my future ability to
earn a living,” she said of the mandate. “What makes me more of a
threat now? Is this how a highly-rated school department treats its
people?”

At the time,  Sara Rapport, a lawyer representing the School
Committee, said that the teachers were violating the school policy for
not complying, adding that committees have the plenary authority over
school interests. She said that the teachers’ decision not to get
vaccinated pose a greater risk to students.

“Teachers have a right not to be vaccinated,” she said in late 2021.
“But every decision has consequences. Religious beliefs do not
override the health and safety of the community.”

It’s not clear if Thurber, Hines, or DiOrio will return to their
previous teaching positions. During an interview with Legal
Insurrection, Piccirilli said that the settlement should be seen as a
victory for others who were fired because they refused to take
COVID-19 vaccines.

“They’ve shown amazing resilience to stick by their faith. A lot of
other people with similar situations have gone through this. And
hopefully [this resolution] will serve as an example of how others
should be vindicated the same way, for sticking up for what they
believe in,” he said.

Last year, a Rhode Island Superior Court judge issued a ruling in
favor of the three teachers who were fired, saying the district
violated the state’s Open Meetings Act laws over their mandating the
vaccine. The Barrington School Committee said after the ruling that
officials disagree with the judge’s opinion.

“This case is not about whether mandating vaccinations is appropriate.
Regardless of the significant political stance which the public may
take for or against that issue, the issue here is whether the
Barrington School Committee provided sufficient notice before enacting
the Emergency Policy on COVID-19 Related Issues in August and
September 2021. This Court finds that violations occurred,” Judge
Jeffrey Lanphear wrote at the time.

Piccirilli, meanwhile, has said that the school committee did not
possess the legal authority to implement a vaccine mandate and
asserted it didn’t follow proper procedures in carrying it out. For
example, he said that the district didn’t advertise it correctly.

“It’s shocking to me that the rule of law seems to have gone out the
window in a lot of these situations,” Piccirilli said in 2021,
reported the Globe. “There’s supposed to be a process.”