[crazy] innovation was: [ot][spam] ai-guided 3d printing

Tue May 9 17:43:09 PDT 2023

I am at the 3D printer.

I did not prepare any tooling or code, so most of the time is spent
not using it.

the "mecode" library i planned to try is not very good at all and
hasn't been used much since python 2. i did not immediately find
comparable libraries to replace it for prototyping with (although in
retrospect i could review prusaslicer/superslicer which are
ahead-of-time tool forks).

mecode was not working for live prototyping at all, and i submitted 4
pull requests to change that:
https://github.com/rtellez700/mecode/pull/2 (serial ports in python3)
https://github.com/rtellez700/mecode/pull/3 (reconnect to a live printer)
https://github.com/rtellez700/mecode/pull/4 (display printer messages
and errors)
https://github.com/rtellez700/mecode/pull/5 (add motion commands
useful for fiddling)

This exhausted my initial energy for working on one of the projects. I
would like to wait for tomorrow to try further, as I can really get
into things and it is night time.

Links:
Marlin g-code documentation: https://marlinfw.org/meta/gcode/
Reprap g-code documentation: https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

java app: https://github.com/winder/Universal-G-Code-Sender
c++ app: https://github.com/supermerill/SuperSlicer

Observations:
There are gcode libraries for CNC machines which seems cool since I
originally wanted to do CNC more than 3D printing.

Celebrations:
Although I haven't heated it yet, I got the printer moving live in
response to the computer as today's accomplishment. It's like a robot
controlled by code, with heavy focus on being able to queue actions in
a pipeline before executing them.