FreeSpeech and Censorship: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 04:12:52 PDT 2023

> https://twitter.com/UngaTheGreat/status/1640513388076752898
> . at ggreenwald Warns Against US Government’s Efforts to Ban TikTok “The
> government is now about to embrace powers that the Chinese government
> itself has long wielded to control the flow of information in their
> countries… I think we ought to think about why this is happening.”

Greg Price @greg_price11
The bill to ban TikTok is absolutely terrifying. It gives the
government the ability to go after anyone they deem as a national
security risk at which point they can access everything from their
computer to video games to their ring light. This is a Patriot Act for
the internet.

Arnaud Bertrand @RnaudBertrand
Under the new Restrict Act ("ban TikTok act") VPN users face 20 years
in jail and a $1mio fine if they evade US internet censorship.
Compared to this, the great firewall of china looks like a picket
fence 😨 E.g. VPN are largely tolerated (used one for 7 years with no
issue).

Lolo @LolOverruled
Senate Bill 686, The Restrict Act, wants to put you in jail for 20
years for using a VPN for using a website or app is operated by a
“foreign adversaries.” These are the foreign adversaries btw