1984: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 19:56:56 PDT 2023

Whether or not AI itself goes rogue is irrelevant,
it absolutely will by used by psychopaths and authoritarians
to create global tyranny and permanent enslavement...
all thus subject themselves to destruction.

https://www.statista.com/chart/29514/fear-of-artificial-intelligence-going-rogue/
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/15/technology/gpt-4-artificial-intelligence-openai.html
https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/ipsos-global-predictions-2023
https://www.statista.com/topics/3104/artificial-intelligence-ai-worldwide/
https://openai.com/research/gpt-4

Will AI Go Rogue?

Following this week’s release of GPT-4, OpenAI’s new multimodal model
accepting image and text inputs rather than ChatGPT’s text-only
prompts, people on social media have been marveling about the new
engine’s results in performing a variety of tasks, such as creating a
working website based on a simple sketch, outperforming humans in a
variety of standardized tests or writing code.

But, as Statista's Felix Richter notes, as people are only beginning
to understand the capabilities (and limitations) of artificial
intelligence models such as ChatGPT and now GPT-4, there’s also
growing concern over what the rapid advancements in AI could
ultimately lead to.

    “GPT-4 is exciting and scary,” New York Times columnist Kevin
Roose wrote, adding that there two kinds of risks involved in AI
systems: the good ones, i.e. the ones we anticipate, plan for and try
to prevent and the bad ones, i.e. the ones we cannot anticipate.

    “The more time I spend with AI systems like GPT-4,” Roose writes,
“the less I’m convinced that we know half of what’s coming.”

According to Ipsos Global Advisor’s 2023 Predictions, many people seem
to share Roose’s reservations with regard to artificial intelligence.

Infographic: Will AI Go Rogue? | Statista

You will find more infographics at Statista

According to the survey conducted among 24,471 adults in 34 countries,
an average of 27 percent of respondents per country consider it likely
that a rogue AI program will cause problems around the world this
year, with some countries such as India, Indonesia and China seeing
significantly higher degrees of AI angst.

Interestingly, the share of those expressing their concern over the
potential of AI going rogue is virtually unchanged from the previous
year.

Considering the very public leaps the technology has taken over the
past few months, it’ll be interesting to see how this changes going
forward.