USA 2024 Elections Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 17:25:28 PDT 2023

>> Lying Joe Biden Democrats
> Caught lying, again...

Liar liar pants on fire...

Musk Blasts Biden After Prez Lies Twice About '3% Billionaire Tax'

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2023/feb/20/joe-biden/in-push-for-billionaire-tax-joe-biden-gets-his-fig/

On Saturday, President Biden's social media galaxy brains tweeted out
a twice-corrected lie, quoting the president telling said lie, that
billionaires are getting away paying just 3% of their average earnings
in taxes.

"You know the average tax billionaires pay?

THREE PERCENT.

No billionaire should be paying a lower tax than somebody working as a
schoolteacher or firefighter," reads the erroneous tweet.

To which Musk replied: "I paid 53% taxes on my Tesla stock options
(40% Federal & 13% state), so I must be lifting the average!"

"I also paid more income tax than anyone ever in the history of Earth
for 2021 and will do that again in 2022."

    I certainly agree that everyone should pay taxes and not engage in
elaborate tax-avoidance schemes.

    Would be curious to hear how these other “billionaires” are so
good at avoiding taxes!

    We should get rid of GRATs, but maybe other things too.
    — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) March 18, 2023

As Ian Bremmer points out, "the 3% number isn't even close to true."

Bremmer's tweet includes a screenshot from CNN, which fact check's the
claim and notes that it's from a 2021 finding that found the 400
wealthiest billionaire families pay an average of 8.2% of their income
in federal taxes.

In response so Biden's original claim that was fact checked, the White
House published a corrected transcript.

    the 3% number isn’t even close to true pic.twitter.com/62oX3tKlLx
    — ian bremmer (@ianbremmer) March 19, 2023

Politifact found that the 25 highest-earning billionaires are paying
around 16% in federal taxes, while most teachers and firefighters pay
between zero and 15%.