Cryptocurrency: Action - US States Passing Ignorant and Laughably Bizarre Legislation, satoshiaction.io

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 13:28:10 PST 2023

https://www.satoshiaction.io/so/b0OQJlZ_A

https://legiscan.com/IL/text/SB1887/id/2692354

https://Illinoispolicy.org/maps/illinois-house/
https://Ilga.gov/house/

a court may order any appropriate blockchain transaction for digital
property or for the execution of a smart contract. Provides that a
blockchain network that processes a blockchain transaction originating
in the State at any time after the effective date of the Act shall
process a court-ordered blockchain transaction without the need for
the private key associated with the digital property or smart contract
    civil penalty of between $5,000 and $10,000 for each day that the
blockchain network fails to comply with the order

PSA to miners and node operators in Illinois, USA (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 21 hours ago * by Appropriate_Bug74662

As many of you have surely heard, senate bill 1887 as proposed would
essentially outlaw mining, validating, and running a node in Illinois
(in the name of consumer protection). Whether this is an act of
criminal incompetence or underhandedness is unclear.

Does this stop bitcoin? Of course not, but that doesn’t mean we want
it slowed down either - better to win without fighting the war.

If you live in Illinois I urge you to contact your house
representative on this matter.

You can find your representative by your address at:

Illinoispolicy.org/maps/illinois-house/#

After looking that up you can also look up more contact details at:

Ilga.gov/house/

I just left voice messages and an email urging my representative to
oppose SB1887 in its current form as it is unworkable and would drive
talent, innovation, and business in the crypto industry out of state.

    66 comments
    share
    save
    hide
    report

all 66 comments
sorted by:
best
Want to add to the discussion?

Post a comment!

[–]Magnus826 37 points 17 hours ago

Thank you! I'm in Illinois.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pcvcolin 19 points 12 hours ago*

^ Oppose this Illinois idiocy - and also advocate against certain
Congresspersons' attempts to limit mining based on ESG reporting.
Proof of work has also become the target of worthless partisan
bureaucrats in three-letter agencies - be ready for court battles in
the USA on this issue.

See:

https://www.satoshiaction.io/so/b0OQJlZ_A?languageTag=en&cid=21afbe68-15af-491e-9c57-3efab0c2d41a

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]soliton-gaydar 50 points 19 hours ago

As if anyone needed another reason to leave Illinois.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–][deleted] 15 hours ago

[removed]

[–]SnooMachines7409 11 points 5 hours ago

I recommend not fighting the dinosaurs, they would die in next 1-2
halvings. Use TOR if you're in Illinois.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Linrono 1 point an hour ago

Don't people suggest not mining over tor because of the latency? Of
course you can run a node over tor. I've also heard lightning nodes
have issues over tor.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]deebmaster -9 points 8 hours ago*

*liberal. Red states currently enshrining one’s right to mine bitcoin

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Kinimodes 1 point 2 hours ago

Nah, just dinosaurs 🦕

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]clue5tick 30 points 19 hours ago

Sue the hell out of them.

Nothing like a good First Amendment penalty to focus their corrupt
little brains.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]minerscentral 6 points 15 hours ago

I'd get behind that.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mossyoaktoe 15 points 17 hours ago

That state has no problem infringing on the 2nd amendment, I doubt
they hesitate to continue the same with the 1st.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DatBuridansAss 2 points 3 hours ago

Didn't you know? Bitcoin is hate speech against the climate.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Neat_Caterpillar_866 4 points 9 hours ago

So dumb because they are shutting down nuclear plants because of no
one to buy the power….

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]fnetma 4 points 6 hours ago

This state is complete shit..

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]igadjeed[🍰] 10 points 16 hours ago

    criminal incompetence

This

    a court may order any appropriate blockchain transaction for
digital property or for the execution of a smart contract. Provides
that a blockchain network that processes a blockchain transaction
originating in the State at any time after the effective date of the
Act shall process a court-ordered blockchain transaction without the
need for the private key associated with the digital property or smart
contract

    civil penalty of between $5,000 and $10,000 for each day that the
blockchain network fails to comply with the order

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Double-LR[🍰] 16 points 15 hours ago

Weapon grade ignorance. What moron wrote this crap? I’d love to know
who it is. I’m betting they look the part.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]igadjeed[🍰] 9 points 15 hours ago

It appears to be copied from the Craig Wright lawsuit against Bitcoin
developers. He's asking a UK court to order the developers to change
the Core code so that he can be paid the coins for which he claims he
lost the keys

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Double-LR[🍰] 9 points 15 hours ago

Oh. It’s Craig! Now it makes sense why it’s so stupid. Thanks for the info.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ubring 7 points 16 hours ago

This uses words but their ordering is so weird

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Wise-Application-144 6 points 12 hours ago

    a court-ordered blockchain transaction without the need for the private key

This is just plainly impossible right? That's the entire point of
bitcoin, that this cannot be done?

It's like saying "a court ordered pig must fly", just making a court
order doesn't mean you can do impossible stuff...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]avance70 3 points 10 hours ago

there was a law to define Pi = 3.2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]fnetma 3 points 6 hours ago

This was in the 1890s.. I am not as shocked.

I would also hate to do calculations with pi without a calculator.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thealiensguy 3 points 5 hours ago

This is hilarious and i never knew this. How the fuck do you legislate
mathematics? Thats fucking insane lol

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]fllthdcrb [score hidden] 30 minutes ago

At least a pig could theoretically be equipped with something to make
it fly. What they're saying, at least where Bitcoin is concerned, is
more like ordering a tornado to disperse. They clearly have no concept
of just how implacable a decentralized consensus-driven network can
be, especially when most of the nodes they propose to fine and/or hold
liable are far out of their jurisdiction.

As if any individual node operator can change things. It would be
almost impossible for such an entity to change the consensus rules,
and I doubt any amount of threatening of operators is going to
convince the developers to implement such changes. Do they think the
devs are going to go, "Oh no, those poor people in the US*. We better
change the rules just so the State of Illinois can break the rules and
steal people's money, in violation of everything Bitcoin stands for!"?
And even if the devs did that, would the vast majority of node
operators go along with it? Because that would be necessary to enforce
this whole thing. If they didn't, then it wouldn't work; I imagine
there would be some sort of fork.

* I think this bill doesn't just apply to residents of Illinois.
Although there is no explicit language to this effect, it appears to
potentially fine and/or hold liable anyone anywhere, as long as it
involves property in Illinois, or something along those lines. Now, as
to how far they'll go, or can go, to reach people outside the state, I
don't know. I just want to mention this, because simply moving out of
the state might not be enough. But I'm no lawyer.

That section 30 (service of process) is also laughable. What, just
serve any single node operator, and the whole network is on notice? I
don't think so. What if the operator keeps it to themselves? Smh.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rydogthekidrs 4 points 13 hours ago

Do they not understand public key cryptography in the slightest? This
shit’s weird man

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]igadjeed[🍰] 4 points 12 hours ago

You don't need a key to spend a UTXO. You only need a line of code in
the software which says, "This UTXO, by court order, can be spent to
this address without a key". The state's problem is that the Bitcoin
node network would refuse to accept that line of code. And they're
totally insane if they think they can impose a day-by-day fine on the
Bitcoin blockchain

On the other hand, look at all the centralized shitcoins. They have
nodes which are controlled by the corporation which owns that
cryptocurrency. A court can force the corporation to change the node
code. The corporation has to implement the code change on all nodes.
The corporation can be fined $10,000 per day for not complying

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rydogthekidrs 1 point 3 hours ago

No yeah I see where I went wrong. I was just tired and — frankly — a
little drunk. It’s still absurd to me to give the government any level
of authority over a decentralized system, though

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]beaker38 2 points 2 hours ago

so chatGPT writing legislation now?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SeemoarAlpha 43 points 20 hours ago

Better yet, move. The state is headed for bankruptcy and a few
proposals include heavily taxing BTC. Illinois ranks 48th, just ahead
of Connecticut and New Jersey, in financial stability.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ip_address_freely 3 points 8 hours ago

That’s due to the decades of corruption and ignorance toward certain
social issues

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kajunkennyg 8 points 10 hours ago

All the states are headed for bankruptcy. California went from having
a 100b surplus to 25b deficient in ten months.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SeemoarAlpha 3 points 6 hours ago

Not all states, some are much better run that others. California's
long term outlook isn't great, but states like Illinois, New Jersey,
Connecticut, Pennsylvania, etc. have entered the death spiral with no
political will to stop it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kajunkennyg [score hidden] 48 minutes ago

It’s going to get worst

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]cabinfvr 24 points 19 hours ago

Illinois is in a death spiral. Don't let them take you down with them.
Agree, move.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AvisPhlox 8 points 14 hours ago

Fuck the law, keep mining.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]recessiontime 2 points 7 hours ago

I understand the sentiment but never test the government. Just walk away.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mr_sew 13 points 17 hours ago

    Vote with your feet and move to another state.
    Computer code and sending bits willingly to other willing
participants is protected in the U.S.A. under the first amendment to
the U.S Constitution as free speech.

If you are going to stay in Illinois, you are going to need an
attorney, or organize a law suit with some organization that can
provide assistance.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]fverdeja 3 points 8 hours ago

Don't worry guys. I'm running Snowflake (a TOR node) in my house and I
don't live in the states, you can just use TOR and your Bitcoin node
could be "running" from my home or from the Nort Pole in a second.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OceanSlim 3 points 5 hours ago

Lol I just realized even if this does pass, all they've done is
further decentralize Bitcoin in their state. Plebs won't stop running
over TOR. This just stops and mining companies in Illinois
essentially.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]porculaeyeyeb1redditor for 5 weeks 2 points 9 hours ago

Wow, Illinois is getting serious about cryptocurrency. Guess it's time
to look into setting up a mining rig there!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]highdra 5 points 17 hours ago

THE ANSWER TO 1887 IS 1776

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PotentialTap2 3 points 16 hours ago

What happened in 1887?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]fllthdcrb 1 point an hour ago

Read the OP again. 1887 is not actually a year.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Sweaty-Play-9746 10 points 19 hours ago

That State sounds a lot like a Communist Venezuela in early stages…

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LonnieJaw748 4 points 16 hours ago

Is this why Ken Griffins Citadel Securities relocated to Florida
recently? He’s trying to build a CEX with Fidelity, guess he wouldn’t
have been able to if still headquartered in Chicago.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mibjt 2 points 15 hours ago

5 bucks say us cbdcs are about to be rolled out.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ScoobyD00BIEdoo 3 points 14 hours ago

Illinois is the most corrupted state unfortunately. You'd need a hefty
sum of money to get them to do anything you wanted. Letters do nothing
=[

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Bitcoin_Maximalist 1 point 13 hours ago

good post

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bjandrus 1 point 8 hours ago

Serious question: how do these states actually plan on enforcing these
bans? (I believe a similar bill has already passed in NY). Like, if I
have a mining rig setup in my home, how is anybody gonna know unless I
tell them? Are they trying to enact a "busybody bounty" like Texas did
with abortions?

I definitely urge everyone to write their senators and I do hope with
every fiber of my being that these bills stop picking up steam like
they seem to be doing lately. But also on the other hand, is there
really anything to fear (as far as enforcement goes, anyway)?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]information-zone 1 point 5 hours ago

They might not be able to stop a pleb from running a single ASIC in
their basement, but big hosting companies which consume megawatts of
power will not be able to hide.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thealiensguy 1 point 5 hours ago

Have you ever heard of off grid power generation? Lol

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SucaMofo 1 point 5 hours ago

This was my question. I don't mine but do run a node. How would they
know I have a node? The node runs on a Pi with Umbrel so I am running
Pi Hole as well. Most of my node connections are over Tor. Usually
have 30 connections and 80% are over Tor.

I am not in Illinois so not concerned about myself.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]americunt2 1 point an hour ago

Do you know how many laws there are that are unenforceable? There's a lot.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ip_address_freely 1 point 8 hours ago

Lol that’s funny. Thinking they can ban it. 🤣

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AnxiousQuestioner 1 point 6 hours ago

Illinois? The state next to me with gambling at every corner,
ridiculous taxes, and large debt? Yeah that one. Illinois will find a
way to double tax your crypto.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OceanSlim 1 point 5 hours ago

Source: https://legiscan.com/IL/text/SB1887/id/2692354

Page 4 Line 13.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]that1rowdyracer [score hidden] 31 minutes ago

Gotta love the commie legislation in IL.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Full-Bluebird385redditor for 3 months [score hidden] 30 minutes ago

Interesting. Illinois is a democrat stronghold. It seems to be a trend
that democrats are anti-Bitcoin/crypto and republicans are not (see
the Montana bill to ensure the right to mine Bitcoin).

    embed
    save
    report
    give award