cypherpunks Digest, Vol 120, Issue 160

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Thu Jun 22 12:53:22 PDT 2023

Replying to two points form Karl.

First, Karl writes: "Given we have seen chip manufacturers placing
hidden hardware backdoors in common microcontrollers, it seems like the
use of almost any voting machine would severely undermine the intent of
democracy, unless the contents are presented for full public review."

Just to clarify a factual matter. The breach of the Coffee County
elections building consisted of multiple intrusions in Jan 2021, each
performed by a different operative or operatives. The very first
intrusion, on January 7, 2021, involved (among others) four employees of
Atlanta-based cyber forensics firm Sullivan Strickler. I confirmed with
computer security expert for the plaintiffs Kevin Skoglund that THAT
team -- I'm unsure about the later operatives -- did NOT copy any
firmware from the voting computers. Seems to me ALL the operatives were
moreso after operating systems, software, higher-level code, but I've
only confirmed that for SullivanStrickler and their Jan 7 2021
intrusion.

Second, Karl writes: "The cryptographic software communities have
developed working examples of transparent voting protocols for decades
now, in the hopes of these things being adopted by governments."

I would appreciate any hyperlinks to these communities. I think the
source code for any voting computers -- say, robustly audited optical
scanners processing handmarked paper ballots -- needs to be free/open
software, fully available to public inspection, always. How to get from
where we are now, to there, is a difficult question.

Doug