Tor history and technology, was Re: Dishonest Tor relay math question

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 14:45:09 PDT 2023

Even if it is an old discussion, it isn't going away. And no, snailmail
expectations and constant bandwidth do not make it all just work. The
web is not snailmail.

Also you missed the first line of my post:
[...] "The problem is user expectations, or perhaps perceptions of user
expectations."

While I doubt many people would consider a couple of days a suitable
response time for a web browser in an online world (except perhaps
complaints departments), some others might, and it is often what you are
used to.

Whether the theory/code creators were right in assuming that 5 seconds
was necessary - well it's either 5 seconds or much longer and more
covertraffic for real anonymity.

But TOR was supposed to be a web browser, and long response times are
not part of that world.

TOR however took up much of the interest in anonymous communications, to
the detriment of other options like Mixminion and the later ones.

As far as the NSA was/is concerned, the situation now is perfect - 'most
everybody uses a system which we can break and most other people can't.
I'm not saying that the NSA actually thought that, and arranged the
government finance for TOR, but if I had been at NSA that's what I would
have done.

As to constant bandwidth/covertraffic, that is expensive even today. For
constant bandwidth to get a 5 second response time for a smallish say
3MB web page you need to have 3 MB of covertraffic every 5 seconds, or
50GB per day, per link. Ouch.

Peter Fairbrother