238 Highlights to the HANDBOOK FOR SPACE CAPABILITY DEVELOPMENT

Gunnar Larson g at xny.io
Sat Jun 3 13:01:32 PDT 2023

238 Highlights to the HANDBOOK FOR SPACE CAPABILITY DEVELOPMENT:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z05gZEiSQBYX0IVzEQNQgQojbK6grMRu/view?usp=drivesdk

Devex's Anna Gawal says:

"That Star Trek mantra still comes to mind whenever I hear the word “space”
— it’s the final frontier. Except it’s not final – for many low- and
middle-income countries, it could be the start of a profitable new venture,
my colleague Catherine Cheney writes.

Many governments assume space exploration involves fancy rockets with
little return on investment. But space can mean satellites that not only
underpin daily life, from navigation to telecommunications, but that also
help propel the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals, from gathering data on
vaccination campaigns to helping farmers make smarter decisions about
planting their crops.

That’s why Rose Croshier, the author of a new handbook on space
development, thinks every country should have some kind of space capability
to pursue their national interests. “Sometimes as space enthusiasts, we
shoot ourselves in the foot, roll out beautiful slides, glossy pictures of
all the stuff space can do,” she says. “But it becomes overwhelming, or too
unreal, or impossible to do without a major lift. We have to make it more
normal, more grounded to local issues for success."