Cryptocurrency: Is Mental Peace

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 10:42:15 PDT 2023

[–]Jaxelino 18 points19 points20 points 2 months ago (1 child)

That clip of the news sharing the same script is some kind of
Orwellian nightmare indeed.

We're rather lucky the world doesn't revolve around the whims of a
single superpower yet. If that was true, the usage of Bitcoin would
have been squashed at its inception.
As long as countries are divided and bickering about, we do have a
chance to put everyone on the same page as bitcoin at the very least
is true and unadulterated value

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]iamjustaguy 1 point2 points3 points 1 month ago (0 children)

    We're rather lucky the world doesn't revolve around the whims of a
single superpower yet.

Have you heard of the fading phenomenon called The U.S. Hegemony?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Bitcoin_Maximalist 9 points10 points11 points 2 months ago (1 child)

    0 AB

the birthdate of a new foundation

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MoGR1 5 points6 points7 points 2 months ago (0 children)

And now we're in 14 AB. 😃

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thestrongestversion 5 points6 points7 points 2 months ago (0 children)

very well written. thank you.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BestBleach 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Actually the cost of money for banks from the fed is called the
federal funds rate it’s what there always changing by purchasing 3
month treasury bonds from the banks by changing a number on a computer

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]conv3rsion 1 point2 points3 points 19 days ago (1 child)

I had a similar experience when Bitcoin clicked. I could not sleep for
days. My brain was struggling to deal with all of the implications of
what had just been created.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]No-Grass-1070 1 point2 points3 points 5 days ago (0 children)

A depression (that made me hate my fiat mine even more than I did
knowing it was adjacent to the Military Industrial Complex) took hold
of me. I went from paycheck to paycheck to figuring out the stock
market to use against them. Fueled by the game stop fiasco at the 9
month mark of my research, I now work from home and stack as many Sats
as I can.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Upset-Location-6460 68 points69 points70 points 2 months ago (36 children)

The same happens to me. Since I’m all in in Bitcoin I just don’t care anymore.

Let them kill each other, riot, change laws, inflate fiat away. I just
don’t give a fuck. I’ve already opted out. See you on the other side!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Boring-Bus-3743 11 points12 points13 points 2 months ago (28 children)

Sorry to throw a what if in but...

I'm in the US, what if the restrict act becomes law and they are able
to sensor all internet traffic and we cannot use the internet to
interact with a blockchain other then the FED NOW CBDC? Has there been
any conversation about a back up plan for that?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Upset-Location-6460 19 points20 points21 points 2 months ago (12 children)

Lucky me I’m not from the US and will never even think of living there.

On the other hand, your scenario is impossible to enforce and even if
they did block the whole internet access, believe me bitcoin will be
the last of our concerns.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Boring-Bus-3743 6 points7 points8 points 2 months ago (11 children)

Agreed, central America looks real nice!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]myd0gcouldnt_guess 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (10 children)

If/when SHTF, Uruguay looks like the place to be imo

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]UExis 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (6 children)

Why Uruguay?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]reggie_crypto 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (2 children)

They have very low social inequality, reasonably good standard of
living, and one of the lowest per capita carbon footprints of any
developed nation. Also they went heavy into renewable energy early on.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]UExis 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Cool!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]myd0gcouldnt_guess 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

I heard someone say once that Uruguay is the Iceland of South America.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]myd0gcouldnt_guess 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago* (2 children)

    They’re the most developed economy in South America.

    Much lower levels of corruption and crime compared to the rest of
Central/South America

    Low cost of living makes it easy to move here

    Relatively easy path to citizenship

    No reason for nukes to fall in Uruguay/surrounding region

    In a global societal collapse situation, low population and
abundance of farmland makes starvation unlikely

    Culture is more reminiscent of Europe than Central/South America

    It’s a beautiful country

Honestly, if things continue to get crazier and crazier here (US) I
may decide to move my family here regardless.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dyegolara -1 points0 points1 point 2 months ago (1 child)

the culture thing is a con, not a pro

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]myd0gcouldnt_guess 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

To you maybe. They’re culturally similar to Europe because most of the
people that live there are of European descent.

Culture ≠ Politics. Uruguay is very far removed from the madness of
the US/Europe.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Boring-Bus-3743 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (2 children)

I like Belize or El Salvador personally.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]myd0gcouldnt_guess 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (1 child)

The instability/crime freaks me out a little too much. I’ve been to
Belize and it is a beautiful country but I’d be terrified to raise my
daughter there.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Boring-Bus-3743 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

It all depends on where you go in the country. South side of Belize
city, hell no. A gates community in Corozal would be the way I go.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Abundance144 7 points8 points9 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Bitcoin is like Goku in Dragonball Z, the harder you kick his ass, the
stronger he becomes.

I welcome any attempt to attack bitcoin; it will emerge stronger on
the other side.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Divad777 4 points5 points6 points 2 months ago (2 children)

If the US monetary system starts to falter, and people start moving
all their funds into BTC, the US could easily enact laws where owning
BTC become illegal… all in the name of US security. And if they do,
other Western countries could follow. Anything is possible and nothing
is certain in this day and age

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]igor55 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (1 child)

    ...the US could easily enact laws where owning BTC become illegal

How do you envision this law being enforced on Bitcoin ownership? I
can see shutting down centralized on-off ramps, but not sure on
ownership. Many who once owned Bitcoin, including myself, lost the
private keys to it all in tragic boating accidents.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Divad777 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago* (0 children)

I should have rephrased it to buying and cashing out of Bitcoin. Of
course, they can’t do much if you already have it on a hardware
wallet. But, they can ban exchanges from doing business with all US
banks, so you won’t be able to transfer new funds or make deposits
from an exchange into US based banks. You’ll be forced to find an
alternative method

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–][deleted] 8 points9 points10 points 2 months ago (0 children)

They couldn't feasibly block the signal. People have developed methods
of bouncing transactions off the moon. You could broadcast
transactions through HAM radio. A transaction is just a number.

They can't stop numbers. For one it's literally protected free speech.
But it's just not possible to block.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    reply

[–]loolwut 4 points5 points6 points 2 months ago (3 children)

Lol censor all Internet traffic eh

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Boring-Bus-3743 5 points6 points7 points 2 months ago (2 children)

It's very possible. The bill also discusses banning VPNs Canada
recently passed a bill with similar effects.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Black_finz 8 points9 points10 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Technically it makes no sense. It's impossible to enforce it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]loolwut 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Good luck

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Full-Guide-7713 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Then we will start to point out how much electricity, manpower,
oppression, deception and resources of any kind it takes to run their
CBDC.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SuccessfulPlenty942 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (1 child)

Buy guns and potentially move

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Boring-Bus-3743 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Guns are no issue I'm in the south west. We have an exit plan outside
the us if shtf but the guns can't come...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]computang 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

My crypto is on a ledger. If one country bans it I’ll travel to
another to access it if I need it. I’m a believer that most of this
map will stay green though. Even the politicians use and need bitcoin.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]scabbymonkey 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

So I am 53, I am planning a trip to El Salvador to see if its a fit
and taking spanish just in case. Like Bitcoin, look for alternatives
to the standard system.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Tiny_Ad9380 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Fuck America at this point.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]reddituserVibez 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (6 children)

so you pay your rent and groceries in btc? i‘m also a Bitcoiner, but
some people just exaggerate…

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Upset-Location-6460 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (5 children)

Not yet.

But that’s no problem, I have lots of places (currency exchanges
offices) that’ll buy bitcoin from me with cash, no KYC, no questions
asked. Then I go with that cash and I buy groceries and pay my rent.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]reddituserVibez -3 points-2 points-1 points 2 months ago (4 children)

so you‘re not all in in BTC.. and i hope you pay your taxes :)

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Upset-Location-6460 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (3 children)

I only trade back to fiat the amount I need to monthly payments.

And taxes… well… I already said I opted out so… The same way I don’t
ask anything from government, they won’t get nothing from me either.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Gadshalp 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (2 children)

I'm pretty sure you do ask of the government. The infrastructure and
systems you use every day dont come for free.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Upset-Location-6460 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (1 child)

I paid for my education as public one is shit, same for my medical
insurance, you go to a public hospital and you literally die, so I pay
a private insurance. I pay for tolls when using the highway, I pay for
my street lights in my HOA, I don’t get any stimulus check or any help
from the state.

Only thing I get is twice the time needed to do any paper work because
of retarded bureaucracy.

Where’s the part where I do ask for the government?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Perfect_Orgsm 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

You should pay your taxes so your government can go to other countries
and give people Freedom™ /s

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Relai_Alex 15 points16 points17 points 2 months ago (8 children)

Same boat. I honestly couldn't care less for two reasons. 1. I'm not
able to change anything 2. holding bitcoin protects my family from any
messy idea, some crazy politician come up with.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]B1llyzane 4 points5 points6 points 2 months ago (1 child)

Same boat but a boating accident can happen at any time

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Relai_Alex 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (0 children)

HODL them keys, myfren!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Forgot_Password_Dude 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (5 children)

what if they come up with the idea of banning btc like some already
has? it limits where you can go. everyone cant fit in el Salvador

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Relai_Alex 7 points8 points9 points 2 months ago (4 children)

Banning Bitcoin is like banning math, air or free speech. If my
country ever decides to do that, I'll be planning my exit ASAP -
before it turns into a full dictatorship.

Bitcoin, as a network, doesn't see borders, nor cares about a local
law in some country. It will still operate and be used in that
country. A nice example is Nigeria.

Another example are drugs. Illegal in the majority of the western
world for decades. Yet, there are still people selling and using them
on daily basis.

Now imagine, you can hide it inside your head or have it on a fully
encrypted device (phone/PC). How difficult it would be for anyone, to
find it?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Forgot_Password_Dude 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (3 children)

i agree with you, but who wants to move to a 3rd world country from a
1st world just because of some law that may change in the future?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Relai_Alex 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Do you think there will be only a single third world country left,
where Bitcoin won't be banned?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]iamjustaguy 0 points1 point2 points 1 month ago (1 child)

    3rd world country from a 1st world

Please, define those terms for the sake of this conversation. You may
want to examine the terms you use. What was the second world?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Forgot_Password_Dude 0 points1 point2 points 1 month ago (0 children)

clean drinking water from the tap?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Umpire_State_Bldg 17 points18 points19 points 2 months ago (1 child)

Before Bitcoin was invented, I read books explaining the central
banks. Often, the owners/operators of the central banks will, for
example, loan money to both sides of a war, while having factories
they own sell war supplies to both sides - the central bank owners
don't give a fuck who wins the war, they end up owning more and more
actual wealth. They sometimes rig the prices and loans to prolong
wars, as in the case of World War I.

Similarly, these central bankers use some of the money they "print" to
buy/own/bribe/strongly-influence politicians from both major parties.
No matter who wins the election, the "money printing" bankers end up
"winning" and owning more and more of the world's actual wealth. Thus,
voting is futile.

Thus, politics has been turned into a distraction, a side show to
divert the attention of the masses - and it works! That's why they do
it.

I recall times when I attempted to explain "why Bitcoin" to a friend,
relative, coworker, only to hear them retort something to the effect
of, "No. All we need to do is get [blah-blah] elected..." Or vote
[yak-yak] out. Either way, futile. They are oblivious to facts. For
example, point out the many years when [blah-blah] had the majority in
the house, senate, and their person as the President and still - same
old shit, nothing got fixed, things actually got worse. These people
are watching a magician and they really and strongly BELIEVE that the
magician has actual magical powers. And so now it boils down to me, or
you, armed with facts and reason vs. the other person's lifetime of
being carefully brainwashed using expensive propaganda.

It's Bitcoin vs the TV.

Ultimately, Bitcoin wins. In the meanwhile, there is a huge supply of
brainwashed "sheep" glued to their TV and/or talk radio and/or social
media "influencers".

Still, don't stop sharing Bitcoin with people who ask or who show
interest in it. Just, recognize when to stop wasting your time with
somebody who is so deeply trapped by the propaganda that they're not
ready fro the truth and probably never will be ready until after its
too late.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BarkMetal 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Thank you for this reply. Well said.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]maddhy 13 points14 points15 points 2 months ago* (0 children)

The madder I get with politics the more BTC I buy

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Rice-Fragrant 4 points5 points6 points 2 months ago (0 children)

People care about the dog and pony show when they are more dependent
on the crumbs that fall off the table of the fiat slavers… it’s like a
starving peasant saying “please sir can I have some more?”

Bread and circuses were used in Roman times to distract the peasants too.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hateschoolfml 5 points6 points7 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Low time preference kicks in and you evolve

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–][deleted] 15 points16 points17 points 2 months ago (0 children)

I'm still very engaged in politics, but yes I have a sense that I'm
hedging against the slow moral decline of modern day political
direction.

Living in the UK and seeing us shuffle closer and closer to
totalitarian dictatorship and seeing our economy destroyed first by
Brexit, then by Trickle Down Truss and continually by staggering
levels of inflation that we will never recover from, having a plan
that potentially insulates me from this feels good.

What I don't enjoy is how many people invoke BTC like it's some magic,
universal panacea to all of the wrongs in the world, and basically
forming a cult around it.
Many of the jackals here are calling for a collapse of financial
institutions so that their investments rise. Which is even shittier
than what the worst offenders in the fiat system are doing.

Perspective is everything.

    embed
    save
    report
    reply

[–]GrindingWit 3 points4 points5 points 2 months ago (0 children)

True. Being under the thumb of a system that makes no sense is stressful.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]skystarsss 4 points5 points6 points 2 months ago (0 children)

You can't take out politics from bitcoin though

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Riker-Was-Here 6 points7 points8 points 2 months ago (4 children)

Well you are wrong to rest easy. I am financially stable thanks to
bitcoin but I am concerned about the future of society and the future
of this planet. Resist the temptation to adopt a "I got mine so f*&^
you" attitude, as that is precisely what has gotten us into this mess
in the first place. All the wealth in the world won't matter if you
are the victim of some insanity-level tragedy because the world around
you is collapsing.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]justinwatt 3 points4 points5 points 2 months ago (1 child)

This right here. I still have a long way to go to get to where I want
to be, but one of the things that alarms me most about the btc thought
leaders is how casually they approach the collapse of the legacy
system. Listen to dudes on the ground in the Ukraine. It took 2-3 days
of no real infrastructure before lawless looting started. I saw the
same thing in Iraq. In a world where there are 21 million haves and
billions of have nothings, it’s better to be a have but it comes with
its own set of very, very significant problems.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]joentx 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Yeah, living in a gated Bitcoin community with full time security does
not sound enticing to me. We need a nice, slow transition to a Bitcoin
Standard but in the meantime it is nice to see BTC offer an
alternative for people in economies that suck.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheDialectic_[S] 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (1 child)

I'm not referring to wealth. I am far from rich from Bitcoin. I'm
talking about the fact that Bitcoin provides an out from the game.
It's an incorruptible asset.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]StannisAntetokounmpo 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

For you it might. For a pregnant woman not wanting a baby in the
American south, it does not. For a Black person driving a nice car at
night, it does not. For Americans going outside anywhere these days,
it does not.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]getoffmydangle 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (1 child)

Nah, politics still affects every part of society and most people
don’t have the luxury of living off the grid in the woods. Doesn’t
matter that I have Bitcoin of people are being oppressed. But that’s
all moot since my Bitcoin fell in the ocean while I was fishing.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]joentx 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Sorry to hear about your ocean misadventures.

In my case I had the original wallet on a computer where the hard
drive crashed. So so sad.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DueActuary9424 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (1 child)

my irritation on no coiners has gone up when they spout dumb shit like
environmental impacted

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheDialectic_[S] 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

That's true. I do feel that as well. Good point

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AnOrdinaryMammal 5 points6 points7 points 2 months ago (3 children)

Corruption still bothers me beyond belief. It’s stealing from people.
Bitcoin offers some sense of security, but they’re still stealing from
everyone and it doesn’t sit right with me.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheDialectic_[S] 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (2 children)

All you can do is protect yourself against it and tell people. It's up
to them to make the decision to opt out of the scam.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AnOrdinaryMammal 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (1 child)

Well of course, it’s just something I can’t make peace with. I don’t
think it deserves peace.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheDialectic_[S] 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Before Bitcoin maybe. But there is an out for people. The peace comes
from knowing that.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HumanJenoM 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

I can vouch.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bryanchicken 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

I feel like mentally it’s worse for me but still the right decision.
Everything in today’s world seems to be a case of “this is the least
bad” rather than “yeah this is awesome”

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Spirit_409[🍰] 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Yes. And been like this for 6 years now. Peaceful peace. Knowledge
that I am as safe as I can be economically.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Top-Application8425 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Same ...I finally have realized it doesn't matter. All politicians are
self-serving. BTC doesn't care

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Marcion_Sinope 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Disconnecting from and shunning that which seeks to destroy you is
always a good idea.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DipsxD 2 points3 points4 points 6 days ago (0 children)

The more you understand Bitcoin the more you are amaze by it

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Truthsayer1984 2 points3 points4 points 2 months ago (1 child)

It bothers me regardless.

Just because I'm rich doesn't mean I stop wanting a good economy. I
don't want the nation turning into one big detroit

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TheDialectic_[S] 1 point2 points3 points 2 months ago (0 children)

I'm far from rich, but knowing that there is something I can buy to
hedge against this madness finally gives my mind some rest

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zealousideal_Neck78 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago* (0 children)

Corruption and politics will always be on a persons mind that has
something more to lose other than a 500 dollar investment in crypto.
There's more worry in life than Bitcoin if you are paying your own
bills.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ConstructionOk6124 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

It feels great having a piece of mind when hodling my sats and not
worry about as the usa turns into a socialist country

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]na3than 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

Yup

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AdvertisingIcy9114 0 points1 point2 points 2 months ago (0 children)

That is because you realise nothing will change until the financial
system stays on fiat money.